Mythbusters attack San Francisco

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Mythbusters crew were filming a segment involving a cannonball that ended up bouncing off a sidewalk, through a residential neighborhood, and causing damage to a house and a parked car. Luckily, no one was hurt in the incident. The show has faced criticism for not following proper scientific method, but it is still entertaining and has a dedicated fan base. This was not the first time something has gone wrong during filming, but it serves as a reminder of the potential dangers involved in their experiments. Despite this, the show continues to inspire interest in science and skepticism towards myths and misinformation.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Then, according to news reports and statements from the sheriff’s office, the errant cannonball stormed off the set and headed over to a residential neighborhood, bounced off a sidewalk, tore through someone’s front door, zipped up the stairs and through an occupied bedroom, blew out the back of the house, blasted over a six-lane thoroughfare and skimmed the top of another house, before brutally attacking a parked Toyota minivan.

So cannonballs can bounce. Another myth busted!

No one was hurt. Did they get lucky!

Physics news on Phys.org
That show drives me up the wall. Often the questions they supposedly answer have already been answered and a little better research is all they need. They talk about the scientific method, but don't seem to have much appreciation for peer review and thorough research.

They should ban these stupid shows :devil:.

Mythbuster Problem Solving Algorithm:
1. Find a question.
2. Test it.
3. Is it "confirmed", "busted", whatever?
4. Who cares?
5. USE (MORE) EXPLOSIVES!

Ivan Seeking said:
No one was hurt. Did they get lucky!
When did this happen?

Scanning articles, it says it happened Dec. 6th.

I'm still entertained by quite a bit of what they do.

S_Happens said:
Scanning articles, it says it happened Dec. 6th.

I'm still entertained by quite a bit of what they do.

Me too. I like the fact there's someone out there building boats and canons out of duck tape.

I see these guys the same way I saw Steve Irwin. What they do is cool, but sooner or later something is bound to happen. Given the path of the ball, they were incredibly fortunate that no one got killed.

After seeing a cement truck disappear into thin air in a giant explosion, it was clear that these guys could be really dangerous.

wuliheron said:
That show drives me up the wall. Often the questions they supposedly answer have already been answered and a little better research is all they need. They talk about the scientific method, but don't seem to have much appreciation for peer review and thorough research.

Nothing can be all things to all people, covering an entire philosophy. Mythbusters is not intended to.

Mythbusters is not about The Scientific Method per se; it is about experimentation.

That is not a shortcoming of the show; that is a strength.

What impact (:smile:) do you think this will have on the show? Will they curtail their activities? I see Adam and Jamie were not present. Will the juniors catch heck?

Ivan Seeking said:
I see these guys the same way I saw Steve Irwin. What they do is cool, but sooner or later something is bound to happen. Given the path of the ball, they were incredibly fortunate that no one got killed.

After seeing a cement truck disappear into thin air in a giant explosion, it was clear that these guys could be really dangerous.
They are movie FX guys. Every once in a great while someone does get hurt while a movie stunt is being filmed. This is actually the first time I'm aware of that something got out of hand for the Mythbusters, and, they were extremely lucky no one got hurt.

Steve Irwin was much more cavalier in my opinion. I remember one episode where he put on some goggles and provoked a poison-spitting snake to spit him in the eyes over and over. It was insane.

zoobyshoe said:
This is actually the first time I'm aware of that something got out of hand for the Mythbusters, and, they were extremely lucky no one got hurt.
I agree. I'm pretty impressed with how careful they are. This is a good example to set. (not that anyone should be trying to follow their example.) Only once did I ever see them (the juniors) go light a fire without proper safety gear (boxcar wine case bomb).

But boy, when something goes wrong, it goes spectacularly wrong.

Ivan Seeking said:

Mythbusters guys have mighty mouths but their acts usually are not that impressive, I think.

rootX said:
Mythbusters guys have mighty mouths but their acts usually are not that impressive, I think.

I've never been a fan of the show but I did like the cement truck. An entire truck just disappeared in a giant explosion. It was quite impressive.

zoobyshoe said:
Steve Irwin was much more cavalier in my opinion. I remember one episode where he put on some goggles and provoked a poison-spitting snake to spit him in the eyes over and over. It was insane.

Yeah, Irwin was crazier.

But you have to look at the logic being used here. If something goes wrong, where does the cannon ball go? "A residential area" is not the responsible answer.

I actually really enjoy their show. It's not really about teaching people proper scientific method (they never do enough replicates to really "confirm" or "bust" anything), but just getting the lay public more engaged and interested in science. Or, if nothing else, to inspire a healthy dose of skepticism about the many myths that abound, especially on the internet.

I had heard about the cannonball issue when it happened. The homeowner was quoted as saying something like it's pretty funny looking back after knowing nobody got hurt. I was actually a bit surprised they did something like that so close to a residential area. I was always under the impression they went to extreme measures on safety and made sure they had very large safety zones around them, knowing there were chances of missing targets, etc.

It is lucky nobody got hurt. Then again, I wish they'd hit the wall of my house...I have a remodeling project that I'd let them contract out to one of those extreme home makeover or Holmes on Homes type shows instead of calling the insurance carrier if they'd prefer. :D

Ivan Seeking said:
Yeah, Irwin was crazier.

But you have to look at the logic being used here. If something goes wrong, where does the cannon ball go? "A residential area" is not the responsible answer.
This is true.

Did I ever tell you the story of my Dad getting hit in the belt buckle by a bullet?

The neighbors lived on the other side of about a quarter mile of pine woods. One evening they were shooting 22's at a target and decided the woods was the best backdrop for that. Somehow a round made it completely through without hitting one tree and socked my Dad in the belt buckle. A double freak.

Anyone who says that they do not take safety into concern obviously does not watch the show very much. They usually have lawyers comb over their stunts and more than once they have had a test stopped by a phone call because it was reviewed to be too dangerous. Freak accidents do happen, and after 10 years on the air, and after seeing nearly every episode, I am very surprised that this one came so close.

So dismiss if you wish, but these guys have done more to promote proper scientific thinking than anyone on this forum (even if they do get it wrong sometimes).

Chi Meson said:
Anyone who says that they do not take safety into concern obviously does not watch the show very much. They usually have lawyers comb over their stunts and more than once they have had a test stopped by a phone call because it was reviewed to be too dangerous. Freak accidents do happen, and after 10 years on the air, and after seeing nearly every episode, I am very surprised that this one came so close.

So dismiss if you wish, but these guys have done more to promote proper scientific thinking than anyone on this forum (even if they do get it wrong sometimes).

I don't think anyone said they didn't take safety into consideration; my point was that they took an unnecessary risk. This was completely avoidable. No doubt relocation to a safer location would have cost too much. After ten years, perhaps they are getting sloppy. Bottom line: A residential area was down range!

The last person I would ask about safety is a lawyer. If you want to know about safety, ask an engineer. If you want to know about liability you ask a lawyer.

Chi Meson said:

This is not true. They promote pop science which is just garbage. People here do much better job (in terms of quality) than those Mythbusters.

I think they are neither much scientific nor crazy as people like Irwin. I tried to watch them once or twice but was put off by their excessive use of words and little actions :rofl:.

rootX said:
People here do much better job (in terms of quality) than those Mythbusters.
Yes they do. But people here don't have exposure to 10 million viewers now do they?

DaveC426913 said:
Yes they do. But people here don't have exposure to 10 million viewers now do they?

Only quality matters not quantity.

rootX said:
Only quality matters not quantity.
If it reaches nobody then quality is irrelevant. (I've been talking about bringing it to the masses.)

Last edited:
Discovery was quick to release a statement that Sgt. JD Nelson, public information officer and bomb technician for the Alameda County Sheriff’s office — who is a regular safety explosives expert for MythBusters – had been on site and all proper safety protocol was observed. Miraculously, no injuries were reported, and meetings are taking place to make sure the affected are taken care of and the show never experiences another accident as potentially grave as this one. But understandably, the residents are nervous about it happening again and not being as lucky. There’s been a “hint” of a lawsuit, the Chronicle reports.

Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara, were calibrating a homemade cannon so it would match the power of a historical cannon. Hyneman, who along with Savage wasn’t present when the cannon was fired nearly 1,000 yards west of the home, told the San Francisco Chronicle the crew experienced “muzzle lift,” which sent the steel or cast iron ball sailing, bouncing on a driveway, through a home, across a multi-lane road, against the roof of a second home, and into a minivan.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/12/08/mythbusters-hosts-cannonball/
Nelson, who is also a consultant for the show, said producers have used the cannon that they built at the range more than 50 times without incident.

The cannonball was supposed to go through a few water-filled barrels and a concrete wall. Instead, it passed over the barrels, through the wall, and then took a “very unfortunate bounce that sent the ball skyward,” Nelson said.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/07/mythbusters-cannon/

I confess I do not understand why they would be doing this up range of a populated area within firing range.

What were they thinking?

DaveC426913 said:
I confess I do not understand why they would be doing this up range of a populated area within firing range.

What were they thinking?

I dunno.

Regardless, it's great no one got hurt. And, you can be 100% certain they're never, ever, ever going to make an error like this again.

Moonbear said:
I actually really enjoy their show. It's not really about teaching people proper scientific method (they never do enough replicates to really "confirm" or "bust" anything), but just getting the lay public more engaged and interested in science. Or, if nothing else, to inspire a healthy dose of skepticism about the many myths that abound, especially on the internet.

I feel the same way.

DaveC426913 said:

What were they thinking?

Hindsight is the only exact science known to man, but from what I've read here (I haven't seen the show) the populated area was NOT within firing range if they had aimed straight, and all their previous experience on the test range was that not aiming straight was not an issue.

I admit I take the "insiders view" on this. I don't stay awake at nights worrying that if something goes wrong with the stuff I do for a living, hundreds of innocent unsuspecting people might get killed. If and when that happens (and sometmes it does happen) we don't go into a group hug to make ourselves feel better, or take a year out for therapeutic stress counselling. We just get our heads down and figure out how to reduce the chance of it happening again...

AlephZero said:
Hindsight is the only exact science known to man, but from what I've read here (I haven't seen the show) the populated area was NOT within firing range if they had aimed straight, and all their previous experience on the test range was that not aiming straight was not an issue.

Hindsight? It seems that - missing the target and looking at what's in range - is ballistics safety 101.

Somebody first figured out the you don't point the firing range on a military training ground at the CO's office, and just assume no one will ever miss the targets.

Of COURSE there is an XKCD for this
unscientific.png

Anyone who has seen the episode where they showed the bullet fired from a handgun hitting the ground at the same time, in the same place, ans a dropped bullet will understand. Blowing things up is NOT the majority of what they do. Big explosions are more fun, and more memorable, and are "better TV," but the show is beyond that.

Not only do they stress the importance of data to support your conclusions, they are ingenious at building contraptions. I have been really impressed by some of the rigs they build to get data or to replicate a myth that a majority of people accept because of an email they receive.

As for safety, 'tis true, the lawyers, are all about not being sued, about not letting things like this happen. My point is that they are not yahoos on Youtube. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this was a freak accident. I hope they get to keep their pants.

Mythbusters are an invented people. They lob missiles into San Francisco.

The path of the http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/cannonball-mythbusters-show-crashes-calif-home-amp-lands-minivan-article-1.988169 was incredible.
It aimed the projectile at huge containers of water meant to absorb the impact on the grounds of the sheriff's bomb disposal range.

But the ball somehow missed its mark, took an unforeseen bounce off a safety berm and barreled into the quiet Tassajara Creek neighborhood of Dublin about 4 p.m. Tuesday.

That's where the projectile turned into a suburban pinball, bouncing off a sidewalk, blasting through a front door, barreling up some stairs and careening through a bedroom where a man, woman and child were reportedly sleeping.

The cannonball then punched through the home's exterior stucco wall, sailed across a six-lane thoroughfare, ricocheted off the roof of another home and finally crashed through the window of a parked, empty Toyota Sienna minivan, where it came to rest.

AlephZero said:

I admit I take the "insiders view" on this. I don't stay awake at nights worrying that if something goes wrong with the stuff I do for a living, hundreds of innocent unsuspecting people might get killed. If and when that happens (and sometmes it does happen) we don't go into a group hug to make ourselves feel better, or take a year out for therapeutic stress counselling. We just get our heads down and figure out how to reduce the chance of it happening again...

A good part of my job involves anticipating the potential for death and injury. I'm not anti-Mythbusters, but this was a stupid mistake and seriously calls into question the competency of those planning their stunts.

I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't worry about these things [in a preventive sense]. As with people like the mythbusters, it is a part of the job.

Chi Meson said:

Anyone who has seen the episode where they showed the bullet fired from a handgun hitting the ground at the same time, in the same place, ans a dropped bullet will understand. Blowing things up is NOT the majority of what they do. Big explosions are more fun, and more memorable, and are "better TV," but the show is beyond that.

Not only do they stress the importance of data to support your conclusions, they are ingenious at building contraptions. I have been really impressed by some of the rigs they build to get data or to replicate a myth that a majority of people accept because of an email they receive.

As for safety, 'tis true, the lawyers, are all about not being sued, about not letting things like this happen. My point is that they are not yahoos on Youtube. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this was a freak accident. I hope they get to keep their pants.

Well said.

Ivan Seeking said:
A good part of my job involves anticipating the potential for death and injury. I'm not anti-Mythbusters, but this was a stupid mistake and seriously calls into question the competency of those planning their stunts.

I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't worry about these things [in a preventive sense]. As with people like the mythbusters, it is a part of the job.

I'm not disagreeing that the placement was a bad idea, but it's tough (impossible) to catch everything. A major part of my job was the safety of others, both practically (preparing equipment to be worked on) and just talking about potential problems (process hazard analyses where you question every piece of equipment). It can be hard to question EVERYTHING. How far back do you go? If you need a firing range and find one available, do you automatically think to question it's validity? Most people will skip that step. "It's here, so it must be right." This tendency is exaggerated when put under pressure, say from time constraints. "We need to shoot this cannon. Well go get it done!" It's not an excuse, but a reality. Examining the event after the fact makes it seem much easier. You already have the problems in front of you.

Safety will always cycle. Regardless of who and what you have in place (I can only speculate on their personnel) there will be a certain amount of complacency. With great people, procedures, and redundancies it will typically take longer to happen, more precise failures in a sequence to occur, or be less severe. There will always be an event to put you back on track.

<h2>What is "Mythbusters attack San Francisco"?</h2><p>"Mythbusters attack San Francisco" is a popular television show that aired on the Discovery Channel from 2003 to 2018. The show follows a team of scientists and special effects experts as they test the validity of various myths and urban legends using the scientific method.</p><h2>Where is "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" filmed?</h2><p>The majority of "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" was filmed in the Bay Area of California, specifically in the city of San Francisco. The show also occasionally filmed in other locations around the world for special episodes.</p><h2>What types of myths are tested on "Mythbusters attack San Francisco"?</h2><p>On "Mythbusters attack San Francisco", the team tests a wide range of myths and urban legends, including popular ones such as whether a person can survive a fall from a great height using only a sheet of bubble wrap, or if a person can really use a cell phone to trigger an explosion at a gas station.</p><h2>How do the hosts of "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" determine if a myth is true or false?</h2><p>The hosts of "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" use the scientific method to test each myth. This involves creating a hypothesis, designing experiments to test the hypothesis, collecting data, and analyzing the results to draw a conclusion about the validity of the myth.</p><h2>Is "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" an educational show?</h2><p>Yes, "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" is considered to be an educational show as it combines entertainment with scientific principles and methods. The show aims to educate viewers about the importance of critical thinking and the scientific process in debunking myths and urban legends.</p>

What is "Mythbusters attack San Francisco"?

"Mythbusters attack San Francisco" is a popular television show that aired on the Discovery Channel from 2003 to 2018. The show follows a team of scientists and special effects experts as they test the validity of various myths and urban legends using the scientific method.

Where is "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" filmed?

The majority of "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" was filmed in the Bay Area of California, specifically in the city of San Francisco. The show also occasionally filmed in other locations around the world for special episodes.

What types of myths are tested on "Mythbusters attack San Francisco"?

On "Mythbusters attack San Francisco", the team tests a wide range of myths and urban legends, including popular ones such as whether a person can survive a fall from a great height using only a sheet of bubble wrap, or if a person can really use a cell phone to trigger an explosion at a gas station.

How do the hosts of "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" determine if a myth is true or false?

The hosts of "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" use the scientific method to test each myth. This involves creating a hypothesis, designing experiments to test the hypothesis, collecting data, and analyzing the results to draw a conclusion about the validity of the myth.

Is "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" an educational show?

Yes, "Mythbusters attack San Francisco" is considered to be an educational show as it combines entertainment with scientific principles and methods. The show aims to educate viewers about the importance of critical thinking and the scientific process in debunking myths and urban legends.

Back