Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MythBusters season 2

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok so I'm watching this online and I just keep thinking that those guys are.. missing a few nuts n bolts in their head :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2006 #2
    Most of the time, they are missing several important variables in their experiments....

4. Jan 3, 2006 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Indeed. The conclusions they reach arent always the right ones imho. As I was watching a bowling ball almost hitting them in their slingshot experiment my jaw just dropped :rolleyes:

Quality TV, very entertaining. I cant believe they've never been injured with so many flaws in experiments :eek:

5. Jan 3, 2006 #4
    They're not exactly scientists I don't believe. I've wondered about some of the things they have done but generally it's all rather interesting and entertaining.
    And that redhead assistent of their's is a hottie.:!!)

6. Jan 3, 2006 #5
    There was one where they build a replica of the arc of the covenant and the girl wired it up to an electric fence transformer to deliberately shock the other guy. He was kinda ticked.

7. Jan 3, 2006 #6
    lmao that was great adam(the guy) was really mad at them because he said it coulda hurt him seriously

8. Jan 3, 2006 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

I can honestly say engineering classes ruined this show for me. Ignorance is bliss! I cant watch those experiments without some crap from statics or dynamics class popping into consciousness and yelling "wrong!" :frown:

9. Jan 3, 2006 #8

Mk

HELL YEAH, she's HOT!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  10. Jan 3, 2006 #9
    The recenlty made a rocket out of plumbing pipe and parts. The thing was a monster at 200lbs. They made it in 2 days, and if flew very nice. I was very impressed. There not so stupid as you make them out to be cronxeh. What myth have they done that has been wrong? Id say 99.9% of their conclusions are good. Do you really think they would just go on tv and say, based on this equation this wont work? Then the show would be stupid, thats kind of why they are out to bust the myth. The show isint called 'fact teller' well tell you whats a fact because its common sense.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  11. Jan 3, 2006 #10
    She even has her own website of her artwork...
    http://www.karibyron.com/
    I think I'm in love.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  12. Jan 3, 2006 #11
    I must say, she is tallented.

13. Jan 3, 2006 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

I didnt say they were stupid, I just said they didnt reach all the conclusions. From season 2 I personally thought it is possible to slingshot a guy over 200 yards and land on a matress. How is trickier, but theoretically its possible. I think by making a longer acceleration ramp for less G's and attaching a glider to the dummy, you can land a dummy even farther

Jamie: "I'm gonna break some environmental laws when I shower tonight" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  14. Jan 3, 2006 #13
    Well, if you cant provide an anwser, then you are not one to say what can and cant be done. I dont recall the myth saying anything about a glider on his back......You dont understand the point of the show, do you? YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE MYTH AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE!

15. Jan 3, 2006 #14
    Which they didn't do with the one about the guy sandblasting the PVC pipe. I thought right away, that myth was NOT busted. They didn't give it a proper test.

16. Jan 3, 2006 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

:rofl:

In the arrow splitting episode they used robotic control to do the tests. Nothing like the myth - Robin Hood splitting an arrow dozens of feet away. They couldnt get the robotic, modern day aluminum-pulley longboy from 15 feet!

17. Jan 3, 2006 #16
    Umm, did you bother to pay attention why? They wanted to see if it was possible, after they said it would be impossible to do by a person. Thats what they do, they show it cant be done, and then try to do it by any means possible. You dont get the point still, do you? It would always split along the grain, no matter what. So the myth was busted, either way. How is this not a valid test to you?

18. Jan 3, 2006 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't feel like they gave Archemedies Solar Beam a proper test. There have been others, which do not come to mind, that I felt were unfairly busted. Just 'cus they can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

19. Jan 3, 2006 #18
    I agree with the solar beam test (sort of). They did do it at MIT, but the myth said an army of men holding mirrors, and they did show that the number of men that had to hold the mirrors at such a tight confine would not be plausable. The people at Mit had tables, I think that kind of defeats the purpose of the myth, no? If they were all HOLDING the mirrors, then yes, Myth confirmed.

http://web.mit.edu/2.009/www/lectures/10_archimedesImages/4_killianArrayClose_big.jpg

20. Jan 3, 2006 #19

cronxeh

Gold Member

There is a probability on that experiment. And I'm sure its totally plausible to split it from end to head, but odds are very slim.

21. Jan 3, 2006 #20
    Ok, ill give you that much, maybe like .00000000000000000000000000001% chance. But I would still call that BUSTED. Common, be sensible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?