Mythology not useless afterall

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: In other words, it's not just about making our world more futuristic, but also about exploring the human condition and its potential for good and evil. For example, Star Wars is a story about the conflict between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire, and the way that individuals can choose to stand up and fight for what's right, even if it means sacrificing everything. This sounds like a good idea, Monique, but after ten or so years, who would remember it?In summary, Monique and others find value in mythology for its moral lessons and its ability to shape culture. It is interesting to note that many terms and elements in our modern language are derived from latin, which is a testament
I'm taking an intro classical mythology this semester. After several classes it's surprising to find out how much the western world incorporates mythological elements and ideas into our culture. Especially our language, but that is likely do to latin influences anyway. Also it is interesting to realize that many of our usernames here have mythological influences.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg, have you read the book "Decipher?"

It talks about similar mythological connections and how they were intentionally created to pass a message. It's a great read.

I use mythology to teach people the constellations.

- Warren

Ya, and I heard that my username, is mythological now too ...

It may not be useful in a practical sense, but it can sure make you sound smarter if you can talk about it!

I imagine most myths have information in them that was useful when they were current. They probably were how people governed their planting seasons, maintained consistant laws, and kept a similar culture to their neighbors. I bet a good story could transcend invasion. If your myths were good enough, invaders would adopt your culture rather than destroy it. Somebody should write a book, or do a TV series on PBS called "The Power of Myth" :wink:

Njorl

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
After several classes it's surprising to find out how much the western world incorporates mythological elements and ideas into our culture.
Could you elaborate? [?]

Originally posted by Njorl Somebody should write a book, or do a TV series on PBS called "The Power of Myth"
This sounds like a good idea, Njorl, but after ten or so years, who would remember it?

Uh, yeah, uh, a little knowledge of mythology can also help prevent foot-in-mouth disease (sorry Nereid). [b(]

So what is this mythology thing all about [?]
noone explained it yet :frown:

Originally posted by Monique
So what is this mythology thing all about [?]
noone explained it yet :frown:
Do we have a language barrier here? Mythology is the stories/legends the ancients made up. Its the basis for the constellations, for example. Zeus, Mount Olympus, Hercules, Jason and the Argonauts, the Minotar, Perseus, Icarus, etc.

So then how is mythology usefull?

I suppose the only way it is useful to me is because most of the terms and elements are in latin. I am I learning a little latin which is interesting because a lot of our language and words are derived from latin too, especially scientific. Many companies also use latin in their company names. For example "Nike" is latin for "Victory".

I would have thought that a wider use of mythology studies would be to show how myth shapes culture and vice-versa. You can learn a lot about people by looking at the myths they create. Everything from the Greek and Roman pantheons, to the Judeo-Christian myths, all the way up to modern icons such as Superman, can shed light on a people in a way that more "sterile" investigating cannot.

Oh, you mean: Despite her ancestry, Nike fought on the side of the Olympian gods against the Titans, and thus was considered a manifest representation of the victory of the Olympians.

Well, yes, that is kinda funny.

N.B. - the proper Greek pronunciation of the name Nike is "Nee kay".

Oh, you mean: Despite her ancestry, Nike fought on the side of the Olympian gods against the Titans, and thus was considered a manifest representation of the victory of the Olympians.

Well, yes, that is kinda funny.

Is that supposed to be a hint?

mythology IS usefull

That is also the ebonic pronunciation.

I think the value of mythology goes far beyond terminology, or even history/anthropology. The basic tenants behind most ancient myths are moral and ethical lessons still applicable to the modern day. Like the god Janus, whose reason for existing was the fact that there are two sides to nearly every event, and that for one thing to begin often necessitates that another must end. Or the lesson of Hermes, which teaches us not to take everything at face value, things aren't always what they appear, or Icarus, who got distracted by the wonder of new technology to the point where he neglected to apply it responsibly. The story of Narcicus reveals that excessive self-love is really a form of self-loathing and is ultimately self destructive.

Today we have science fiction, which serves pretty much the same purpose; to take people out of their familliar frames of refference to look at humanity from an outsider's perspective. Much can be revealed by this technique, which is probably the reason it is still practiced.

Try this one...

One that I had thought about would be the unicorn...seeing it sort of like an Innu (Native of Northern Canada) was lost at sea in his kayak, found in Vinland (for lack of the right name for that area and or region of the earth...wherever that legend started) by a Vinlandian native who revived the innu hunter with fresh water, and nursed them back to health. The Innu, being a grateful man, offered up a Narwhale tusk as reward for the people who saved hs life...they, in return, attempted to communicate with this man as to ascertain where had he gotten such a delightful attifact/treasure...being that neither of them could speak in the others language, they used gestures to communicate, the Vinlandian posing in the "What/where" posture, (plus) the Innu responding as to the "from what creature" inquiry, by mimicry of a NarWhale breaching the waters, (two hands in front of his chest, rears back a little, then up...) the Vinladian recognized it immediatly as a Horse rearing back...birth of the Unicorn...legend/Myth...?

1. What is the significance of mythology in today's society?

Mythology serves as a source of inspiration and entertainment in today's society. It also provides a way to understand and connect with different cultures and their beliefs.

2. How has mythology influenced literature and media?

Mythological stories and characters have been used as inspiration for many literary works and popular media such as movies, TV shows, and video games. They often provide a familiar and relatable foundation for storytelling.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the validity of mythological stories?

While there may not be scientific evidence to support the literal existence of mythological events and creatures, many scholars believe that these stories may have been based on real events or natural phenomena that were exaggerated and embellished over time.

4. How does studying mythology contribute to our understanding of human nature?

Mythology often reflects common human experiences and emotions, allowing us to gain insight into the human psyche and our shared beliefs and values. It also provides a way to explore and make sense of the world around us.

5. Can mythology still be relevant in modern times?

Absolutely. While some may view mythology as outdated or irrelevant, its themes and lessons are timeless and can still resonate with people today. Additionally, many modern interpretations of mythology continue to evolve and adapt to reflect contemporary issues and perspectives.