Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MZI add drop (bragg gratings)

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1

I came across this mzi add drop function/device and need some help to to fully understand it.

I attached a picture which shows the thing.

Ok so, the first 50/50 coupler splits the intensities to the 2 arms with the bragg gratings, bragg gratings are adjusted(made) so that they reflect back lambda1, now as the 2 arms reflect back the lambda1s , these 2 intensities are now at the same 50/50 coupler getting ready to get splitted again. As the picture shows lambda1 is "only" going to "drop port 1".

I can guess that the 2 lambda1s are phase shifted and then cancel each other out going to input port 1 and constructively added to drop port 1.
    But Im not sure. I dont see why they get different phase shifts. Does the coupling give them different phase shifts ?

After the bragg gratings, the upper arm has a pi-phase shift function which shifts the upper lambdas, lambda2/3, and a new lambda1' is added from "output port 2". Lambda2/3 get constructively added to "output port1" with the added lambda1'.

thx in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted