1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(n-1)! is divisible by n

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1

xax

I need to prove this for any n natural, n>= 5, n not prime.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2
    Think a bit about the prime factors of n... are they smaller than n? Then think of what (n-1)! means.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Dodo's hint is excellent- but the crucial point is whether the factors of n are less than n-1, not jus n itself!

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If n is not prime, then n=j*k, where j and k are >1, therefore both <n. As a result both are factors in (n-1)!, so n divides (n-1)!.

6. Apr 4, 2008 #5
    Almost there, one last thing to consider is the squares of prime numbers. What happens when n=9=3*3 for example? This is where the n>=5 comes in.

7. Apr 5, 2008 #6

xax

You all have good points and I thought of all of them and the reason I've posted this is because of the square numbers as rodigee said. Well I think if n = k*k then k is one of the numbers between 1 and n-1. since n=k*k then k divides (n-k) and this is smaller the n-1 which means n divides (n-1)!.

8. Apr 5, 2008 #7
    Sorry, xax but I don't really understand your idea heh. This is how I see it:

[tex]n > 4[/tex] implies that

[tex]\sqrt{n} > 2[/tex] so we also have that [tex]\sqrt{n}\sqrt{n} > 2\sqrt{n}[/tex] or simply [tex]n > 2\sqrt{n}[/tex], meaning that [tex]2\sqrt{n}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] both show up in [tex](n-1)![/tex] so we're good to go.

9. Apr 5, 2008 #8

xax

You make perfect sense rodigee and this is a nicer demonstation than mine. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?