1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

√n + 1/n monotone proof

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Any idea how I may prove that √n + 1/n is monotone? I am unable to show that √(n+1) + 1/(n+1) > √n + 1/n. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you required to use induction? That seems to be what you're doing.

A different approach would be to show that if f(x) = x1/2 + x-1, then f'(x) > 0 if x is large enough (it doesn't have to be very large).

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The result is true if you mean √(n + (1/n)) and false if you mean what you *wrote*, which means (√n) + (1/n) (although in that case it is true for n ≥ 2).

RGV

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4
    Regardless of induction, an ascending monotone sequence satisfies the following:
    There exist n0 natural, so that for every n>n0, the n+1th term of the sequence is greater than the nth term.
    And I am not allowed to use functions.

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5

Mark44

Why not? You need to show us the complete problem statement.

7. Nov 3, 2012 #6
    The reason I am not allowed to use functions as we haven't dealt with them in class yet.

8. Nov 3, 2012 #7

Mark44

But surely you have studied functions in a previous class. The function f(x) = √x + 1/x is defined for real x > 0, and gives the same values at positive integers as the sequence sn = s(n) = √n + 1/n. Looking at the graph of f can give you some insight into what your sequence does.

9. Nov 5, 2012 #8
    As I am not permitted to use functions, could someone please suggest how I may prove that the above sequence is monotone?

10. Nov 5, 2012 #9

uart

Science Advisor

As Ray has already pointed out, your series is not monotonic. Just calculate the first three terms to demonstrate this.

Or were you given a more specific problem statement?

11. Nov 5, 2012 #10
    It is monotone, as for any n>=2 a_n+1>a_n

12. Nov 5, 2012 #11

uart

Science Advisor

Good, so the question I was asking is whether you were given "for n>=2" as part of the problem statement or if you were supposed to find for what range of "n" it was monotone. In any case, proceed as follows.

Start by rearranging the reciprocals on one side of the inequation and the square roots on the other. Simplify the reciprocals to a common denominator and then multiply each side by the conjugate surd, [itex](\sqrt{n+1} + \sqrt{n})[/itex]. It's relatively easy after that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook