N=2 Super Yang-Mills: Auxiliary Fields Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of the Vector supermultiplet in N=2 SUSY and whether the two auxiliary fields from the N=1 theory should be included to make up the off-shell degrees of freedom. The off-shell counting suggests that for N=1, 2 bosonic d.o.f. are required for the chiral supermultiplet and 1 for the vector, while for N=2, the vector supermultiplet requires 3 bosonic d.o.f. However, the speaker is confused as when they try to write out a Lagrangian for the N=2 vector supermultiplet, it is the same as the N=1 gauge theory.
StuartY
I was wondering since the Vector supermultiplet in N=2 SUSY can be built from a Chiral and a Vector supermultiplet from N=1, in order to make up the off-shell degrees of freedom, would you include the two auxiliary fields from the N=1 theory (traditionally F from the Chiral and D from the vector multiplets), or would you make them up using a single auxiliary field? I'm sorry if this was a terrible question or has been poorly worded.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with N=2 SYM, but what does your off-shell counting suggest?

Sorry for the late reply. So off-shell for N=1 requires 2 bosonic d.o.f. for the chiral superultiplet, and 1 for the vector. For N=2 the vector supermultiplet requires 3 bosonic d.o.f.. I've been looking at this some more, and I think I'm getting even more confused because when I try and write out a Lagrangian for the N=2 vector supermultiplet I get the same Lagrangian as for the N=1 gauge theory.

What is N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory?

N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory is a supersymmetric extension of Yang-Mills theory, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the interactions between elementary particles. N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory takes into account the symmetries of both supersymmetry and Yang-Mills theory, and is used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions.

What are auxiliary fields in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory?

Auxiliary fields in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory are additional fields that are introduced to simplify the mathematical formulation of the theory. These fields are not physical and do not represent any physical particles, but they help to simplify and organize the equations of the theory.

Why are auxiliary fields necessary in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory?

Auxiliary fields are necessary in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory because they allow for the theory to have both supersymmetry and Yang-Mills symmetry while also satisfying the equations of motion. Without auxiliary fields, it would be difficult to incorporate both symmetries into the theory.

What is the role of auxiliary fields in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory?

The role of auxiliary fields in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory is to simplify the equations of the theory and make it easier to study and analyze. They also play a crucial role in maintaining the symmetries of the theory and ensuring that it is consistent with experimental results.

How are auxiliary fields related to the Higgs mechanism in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory?

Auxiliary fields are not directly related to the Higgs mechanism in N=2 Super Yang-Mills theory. However, they do play a role in the generation of mass for certain particles through a process called spontaneous symmetry breaking, which is also a key aspect of the Higgs mechanism. This is one of the ways in which auxiliary fields contribute to the overall structure and behavior of the theory.