Solving 0-100 with 4 "4s": Can You Do It?

• Thread starter davee123
  • Start date
In summary: So I'd say the question is a bit flawed, but the answer is that it is possible to get all numbers from 0 to 100 using only ten 4's.In summary, the conversation revolves around a mathematical problem where the goal is to use exactly four 4's and mathematical functions to get all integers from 0 to 100. There are debates about what constitutes a "cheat" and the minimum number of 4's needed to solve the problem. The speaker used a computer program to find a solution with ten 4's, but it is possible that there may be a solution with fewer 4's. There is also discussion about what is considered "implied" and how it affects the solution.
davee123
So, you've got the "standard" four 4's problem-- Using exactly four 4's (and no other numbers), and any mathematical functions, come up with combinations to get the integers 0-100 (or what-have-you). But a bunch of functions are potentially "cheats", like sqrt(4) which implies the number 2, since you're taking the 2nd root of 4, while you could instead take the (4+4)/4 root of 4, and that would be a totally legal way of getting the same result (you've just used up your full allotment of 4's).

Ex: using four 4's:
0 = 4-4+4-4
1 = (4/4)*(4/4)
2 = 4-(4+4)/4
3 = 4+(4^(4-4))
4 = 4+(4-4)/4
Etc.

Hence, the question is: how many 4's are necessary to complete all the integers from 0 to 100? Could you do it with exactly five 4's? Would it take as many as ten 4's? What's the absolute minimum?

"Cheats" include anything with an implied other number, such as:

4! - implying 4*3*2*1
sqrt(4) - implying the "2nd" root of 4
.4 - implying 4/10
.4 - implying 4/9
44 - implying 4*10 + 4
4C4 - implied factorials buried in there
log 4 - implied 10
ln 4 - implied e.

Other things to stay away from: AND's and OR's (as in bitwise operators), implied bases (such as saying "4*4=10 in base 16", etc).

Known functions that would be ok:
+, -, *, /, roots (with specified base), log (with specified base), exponents, modulus.

The jury's still out on trig functions, since you're potentially implying 360 degrees or 2 pi radians.

I "solved" this using a computer program to bash away at the possible combinations, although it didn't use trig functions, and there may be other functions out there, so perhaps there's a lower number than the one I came up with. To any attempting this by hand, I'd advise starting at 100 and working your way backwards, rather than starting at 1 and working up...

What did I get? I found that I needed 4+(4-4)/4+4*4^(4-4) fours in order to get all numbers between 0 and 100.

DaveE

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds a bit arbitrary what is "implied" and what is not and the result depends on that.

You could argue that 4^4 "implies" 4*4*4*4 and should need four 4.

1. Can the number 100 be solved using only four 4s?

Yes, it is possible to solve 0-100 with only four 4s by using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and factorial.

2. What is the minimum number of operations needed to solve 0-100 with four 4s?

The minimum number of operations needed depends on the approach used. Some solutions may require more operations than others, but it is possible to solve 0-100 with four 4s using as few as 14 operations.

3. Is there a specific order in which the four 4s should be used to solve 0-100?

No, there is no specific order in which the four 4s should be used. Different solutions may use the four 4s in different orders to reach the desired result.

4. What is the significance of solving 0-100 with four 4s?

The significance of solving 0-100 with four 4s lies in its challenge and ability to showcase the creativity and problem-solving skills of individuals. It also serves as a fun and educational exercise for students and math enthusiasts.

5. Are there other numbers that can be solved using four 4s?

Yes, it is possible to solve other numbers using four 4s. In fact, there are multiple variations of this problem, such as solving 0-50 with four 4s or solving 0-1000 with four 4s. Each variation may have different solutions and require different approaches.