1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N 4's - Redux

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    So, you've got the "standard" four 4's problem-- Using exactly four 4's (and no other numbers), and any mathematical functions, come up with combinations to get the integers 0-100 (or what-have-you). But a bunch of functions are potentially "cheats", like sqrt(4) which implies the number 2, since you're taking the 2nd root of 4, while you could instead take the (4+4)/4 root of 4, and that would be a totally legal way of getting the same result (you've just used up your full allotment of 4's).

Ex: using four 4's:
    0 = 4-4+4-4
    1 = (4/4)*(4/4)
    2 = 4-(4+4)/4
    3 = 4+(4^(4-4))
    4 = 4+(4-4)/4
    Etc.

Hence, the question is: how many 4's are necessary to complete all the integers from 0 to 100? Could you do it with exactly five 4's? Would it take as many as ten 4's? What's the absolute minimum?

"Cheats" include anything with an implied other number, such as:

4! - implying 4*3*2*1
    sqrt(4) - implying the "2nd" root of 4
    .4 - implying 4/10
    .4 - implying 4/9
    44 - implying 4*10 + 4
    4C4 - implied factorials buried in there
    log 4 - implied 10
    ln 4 - implied e.

Other things to stay away from: AND's and OR's (as in bitwise operators), implied bases (such as saying "4*4=10 in base 16", etc).

Known functions that would be ok:
    +, -, *, /, roots (with specified base), log (with specified base), exponents, modulus.

The jury's still out on trig functions, since you're potentially implying 360 degrees or 2 pi radians.

I "solved" this using a computer program to bash away at the possible combinations, although it didn't use trig functions, and there may be other functions out there, so perhaps there's a lower number than the one I came up with. To any attempting this by hand, I'd advise starting at 100 and working your way backwards, rather than starting at 1 and working up...

What did I get? I found that I needed 4+(4-4)/4+4*4^(4-4) fours in order to get all numbers between 0 and 100.

DaveE

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted