N-degree polynomial problems

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: I have done some research now and s, t are the socalled roots of the the cubic polynomial.Suppose p(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d and q(x) = ex^3 + fx^2 + gx + h. Use the other information given to create a linear system of equations with the coefficients of p and q as variables.In summary, the problem is to find two polynomials of degree 3 that comply with certain conditions. The resulting polynomials are p(x) = (2 + s - 2t) x^3 + (3 + 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x + t and q(x) = (-
Mathman23
Urgent: n-degree polynomial problems

Hi

I know I have asked this before, but I haven't been able to solve the problem using the tools that I have.
Let me recap

I have been tasked to find two polynomials of degree 3 p(x) and q(x) complies with the following conditions.

p( - 1) = 1 , p'(-1) = 0 , q(1) = 3, q'(1) = 0, p(0) = q(0), p'(0) = q'(0)

I'm told that the resulting two polynomials of degree 3 are:

p(x) = (2 + s - 2t) x^3 + (3 + 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x + t

q(x) = (-6 + s + 2t) x^3 + (9 - 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x +t

where s,t belong to R.

I have looked through my linear algebra text-book several times, but can't find a method on howto build polynomials which resemble p(x) and q(x).

Is there anybody who can direct me to a method on howto build the to above polynomials ?

Sincerley and Best Regards,

Fred

p.s. Thanks again for all Your answers in the past they mean the world to me :-)

p.p.s. I have done some research now and s, t are the socalled roots of the the cubic polynomial.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose p(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d and q(x) = ex^3 + fx^2 + gx + h. Use the other information given to create a linear system of equations with the coefficients of p and q as variables.

Hi and thanks for Your answer,

The equations inside the parantheses are they derived from the system of linear equation?

Hi I'm told that all this has something to do with vector spaces. But exactly how I'm a bit unsure of :-(

Fred

Muzza said:
Suppose p(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d and q(x) = ex^3 + fx^2 + gx + h. Use the other information given to create a linear system of equations with the coefficients of p and q as variables.

Last edited:
My problem is that first of all my Linear Algebra textbook doesn't deal with these kinds of polynomials.
Futher I need to present the calculations on friday if I can't I fail.

Hope there is somebody who can direct me on howto obtain the final solution for this problem ? :-)

Thank You and God Bless You all.

Sincerely
Fred

Mathman23 said:
Hi

I know I have asked this before, but I haven't been able to solve the problem using the tools that I have.
Let me recap

I have been tasked to find two polynomials of degree 3 p(x) and q(x) complies with the following conditions.

p( - 1) = 1 , p'(-1) = 0 , q(1) = 3, q'(1) = 0, p(0) = q(0), p'(0) = q'(0)

I'm told that the resulting two polynomials of degree 3 are:

p(x) = (2 + s - 2t) x^3 + (3 + 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x + t

q(x) = (-6 + s + 2t) x^3 + (9 - 2s - 3t) x^2 + s*x +t

where s,t belong to R.

I have looked through my linear algebra text-book several times, but can't find a method on howto build polynomials which resemble p(x) and q(x).

Is there anybody who can direct me to a method on howto build the to above polynomials ?

Fred

p.s. Thanks again for all Your answers in the past they mean the world to me :-)

1. What is an N-degree polynomial problem?

An N-degree polynomial problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the roots or solutions of a polynomial equation of degree N. The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of its variable. For example, a polynomial of degree 3 would have the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d.

2. What are some common methods for solving N-degree polynomial problems?

Some common methods for solving N-degree polynomial problems include factoring, using the rational root theorem, using the quadratic formula for degree 2 polynomials, and using numerical methods such as Newton's method or the bisection method.

3. How do I determine the number of solutions to an N-degree polynomial problem?

The number of solutions to an N-degree polynomial problem is equal to the degree of the polynomial. For example, a degree 3 polynomial can have up to 3 solutions, while a degree 5 polynomial can have up to 5 solutions. However, the solutions may not necessarily be real numbers.

4. Can N-degree polynomial problems have complex solutions?

Yes, N-degree polynomial problems can have complex solutions. Complex solutions are numbers of the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The number of complex solutions to an N-degree polynomial problem can be determined using the fundamental theorem of algebra.

5. Are there any real-world applications of N-degree polynomial problems?

Yes, N-degree polynomial problems have various real-world applications in fields such as engineering, economics, physics, and computer science. For example, polynomial equations are used to model the growth of populations, the spread of diseases, and the behavior of financial markets.