Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N-dimensional sphere

1. Aug 14, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone......

I mistakenly posted this question in a math section, met with insufficient answers. :frown: My fault there, but here's the gist:

How do you find the surface area of an n-dimensional sphere?​

I ran across this concept in a stat-mech class a long, long time ago.......didn't understand it very well at the time. It was an aside kind of thing the prof did during a lecture. I thought if I spent a little one-on-one time with the concept I would 'get it', but the rigors of homework, research, etc disallowed the quality time intended, so I ended up putting this into my mental closet for rainy-day thinking, and of course, never got back to it, but I'm still very curious about it.

Can someone do this derivation and explain the thinking behind it please????

:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2

rbj

what do you mean "find"? do you want an epression for the amount of surface "area" of an n-dimensional sphere, given a "radius"?

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks to me like you have plenty of responses in the math fourm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?