Can I Skip Pre-Calculus and Challenge a College Calculus Class?

In summary, Randy wants to challenge himself to taking the calculus series, but wants to make sure he is able to handle the material. He is unsure if he should take precalculus first.
datafiend
Hi all,
I have read this forum on and off for a couple years' now and have finally started the road to calculus.

I have a BA in Econ already (2001) and took the "Business Calc" class way back (that's what the minimum was). I find myself in a technical career (not Econ related), but have always wondered to myself, "Can I take the full Calculus series?".

As most of you know, most colleges (reputable ones) are impacted right now (especially in California). I have been reviewing the Precalculus book by Stewart, Redlin, and Watson and am pretty comfortable with it. Do you think it's worth a challenge to my local junior college? What I'm trying to say is I would like to go directly to Calculus I this fall, but skip the Pre-Calc class.

Any downside to this approach?

Thx

Randy

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you hope to get out of this? Are you going back to school to pursue another major, or are you just challenging yourself (As it seems)?

DBZ,
It's more of challenging myself. However, to be perfectly candid, I'd think this would be a good bullet point on my resume. I think that getting into more rigorous occupations that pay better and challenge your analytical thinking is what the calculus would help out with.

I'm a decent student, I've always been a lifelong learner and not taking the Calculus series was a regret I've not completely gotten over.

Thx

Different schools probably have different policies on waiving prerequisites for a course. Where I teach, the course's instructor can do it. At some schools, you might have to go to the department head, or maybe even higher up the administrative ladder.

So, if you know who the instructor is going to be, start by asking him/her. Otherwise, ask the department head.

To the OP, if you're really interested in taking the calculus series and you already feel comfortable with precalculus then I don't see why you wouldn't success. You seem serious about your studies. I think the calculus series is usually thought in the first 3 semesters in most universities so it's not considered as an "advanced course". There's no reason you'll do poorly, IMO.

Do you know if your school has a math placement exam? Maybe you could take it and bypass precalc.

I would get the book for the class you want to take and start reading it and trying some of the problems. There is no point in trying to take a more challenging class until you're sure you can handle the material.

If you really need to skip the class, like due to time constraints, then you should try to challenge it. However, if you're just challenging because you're fairly sure you know everything in the course, you may as well take it. Obviously you're not going to be constantly learning new stuff, but it will allow you to completely solidify everything you already know, pick up some new ideas/perspectives on the material, and be in a very strong position heading into Calc 1.

HeLiXe said:
Do you know if your school has a math placement exam? Maybe you could take it and bypass precalc.

As a matter of fact, they do. I'll drop by and see what process to follow next.

Many thx.

1. What is the purpose of the "N E 1 challenge a class"?

The purpose of the "N E 1 challenge a class" is to encourage students to think critically and creatively by challenging them to come up with solutions to real-world problems. It also promotes collaboration and teamwork among students.

2. How does the "N E 1 challenge a class" work?

The "N E 1 challenge a class" typically involves a group of students being presented with a problem or question related to a specific topic or subject. They are then given a set amount of time to work together and come up with a solution or answer. The challenge can be in the form of a debate, project, or presentation.

3. What are the benefits of participating in the "N E 1 challenge a class"?

Participating in the "N E 1 challenge a class" can help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It also allows them to apply their knowledge in a practical and engaging way, making learning more meaningful and memorable.

4. Is the "N E 1 challenge a class" suitable for all subjects?

Yes, the "N E 1 challenge a class" can be adapted to suit different subjects and topics. It can be used in science, math, language arts, social studies, and more. The key is to choose a topic or problem that is relevant and interesting to the students.

5. How can I implement the "N E 1 challenge a class" in my classroom?

The "N E 1 challenge a class" can be implemented in various ways, depending on the teacher's preferences and the resources available. It can be done in person or virtually, and the challenge can be individual or group-based. It is essential to establish clear guidelines and objectives beforehand and provide students with enough time and support to complete the challenge successfully.