Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N /n! = ?

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    n!!/n! = ?

Hi, I have a quick question that's been bugging me: is there an easy simplification of (n!!)/(n!)? And how is is demonstrated?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Re: n!!/n! = ?

Yup. Depends on whether n is even or odd.

Try working it out. The answer will come in terms of another double factorial.

EDIT: My bad, it does not depend on whether n is even or odd.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

I can hardly call it a simplication if it has another double factorial. I would just say it's another way to write it. It's equivalent.

The obvious answer to something that is equivalent...

(n!!-1)!

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4

Why? We have a factorial and a double factorial and we can reduce it to just a double factorial.

That sounds like simplification to me.

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5

:rofl:
    I laughed when I looked at your original question because I thought to myself:

[tex]\frac{n!!}{n!} = ?[/tex] ... that can't be; where does the "?" come from?

It should be [tex]\frac{n!!}{n!} = ![/tex] since the "n!" cancels out.

Like this: [tex]\frac{n!!}{n!} = \frac{(n!)!}{n!} = \frac{n!}{n!}\times ! = 1\times ! = ![/tex] :rolleyes:

7. Jan 29, 2010 #6

In differential equations class, they had...

[tex]x = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

The student cancelled the d's, and then multiplied both sides by x and added "+C". That's [itex]y = x^2 + C[/itex]. Argued his answer was correct and was only missing an insignificant coeficient and should get full marks.

8. Jan 29, 2010 #7

Im not a mathemagician. But you could use Stirling's approximation if you assume large n.

9. Jan 29, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's like
    [tex]\frac{sin x}{n}= 6[/tex]

10. Jan 29, 2010 #9

Good one! (It took me a while, but I got it!)

11. Jan 29, 2010 #10

I know a guy who actually did that on a Calculus Preparedness Exam for our physics class. Wherever there was d/dx, he would just cancel the d's and divide by x.

12. Jan 29, 2010 #11

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Lol, it even kind of works for polynomials, if you commonly ignore coefficients...

13. Jan 29, 2010 #12

uart

Science Advisor

Actually it's [itex](n! - 1)![/itex]. You slipped in an extra factorial there. :)

14. Jan 29, 2010 #13

Hence why the student kept arguing.

15. Jan 29, 2010 #14

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I would hardly call any coefficient insignificant, though.

What's the difference between [tex]x^3[/tex] and [tex]100x^3[/tex]? Only an insignificant coefficient that changes the answer by a factor of 2.

16. Jan 29, 2010 #15

that is in the simplest possible form

17. Jan 29, 2010 #16

I mean, you have one variable and 3 of the same operators. What are you hoping for?

18. Jan 29, 2010 #17

n!!=n(n-2)(n-4).... right? I get 1/((n-1)!!) just by writing it out and cancelling out.

19. Jan 29, 2010 #18

Good job. : )

20. Jan 29, 2010 #19

OH!

I was thinking (n!)!.

21. Jan 30, 2010 #20

uart

Science Advisor

I thought the same thing here Norm. Maybe the OP could have explained it's meaning since it's not such a common symbol and easily confused.

Also I must say that I find "double factorial" a very unintuitive name for that function. It should be called "half factorial" IMHO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook