1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N /n! = ?

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    n!!/n! = ?

Hi, I have a quick question that's been bugging me: is there an easy simplification of (n!!)/(n!)? And how is is demonstrated?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Re: n!!/n! = ?

Yup. Depends on whether n is even or odd.

Try working it out. The answer will come in terms of another double factorial.

EDIT: My bad, it does not depend on whether n is even or odd.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

I can hardly call it a simplication if it has another double factorial. I would just say it's another way to write it. It's equivalent.

The obvious answer to something that is equivalent...

(n!!-1)!

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4

Why? We have a factorial and a double factorial and we can reduce it to just a double factorial.

That sounds like simplification to me.

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5

:rofl:
    I laughed when I looked at your original question because I thought to myself:

[tex]\frac{n!!}{n!} = ?[/tex] ... that can't be; where does the "?" come from?

It should be [tex]\frac{n!!}{n!} = ![/tex] since the "n!" cancels out.

Like this: [tex]\frac{n!!}{n!} = \frac{(n!)!}{n!} = \frac{n!}{n!}\times ! = 1\times ! = ![/tex] :rolleyes:

7. Jan 29, 2010 #6

In differential equations class, they had...

[tex]x = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

The student cancelled the d's, and then multiplied both sides by x and added "+C". That's [itex]y = x^2 + C[/itex]. Argued his answer was correct and was only missing an insignificant coeficient and should get full marks.

8. Jan 29, 2010 #7

Im not a mathemagician. But you could use Stirling's approximation if you assume large n.

9. Jan 29, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's like
    [tex]\frac{sin x}{n}= 6[/tex]

10. Jan 29, 2010 #9

Good one! (It took me a while, but I got it!)

11. Jan 29, 2010 #10

I know a guy who actually did that on a Calculus Preparedness Exam for our physics class. Wherever there was d/dx, he would just cancel the d's and divide by x.

12. Jan 29, 2010 #11

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Lol, it even kind of works for polynomials, if you commonly ignore coefficients...

13. Jan 29, 2010 #12

uart

Science Advisor

Actually it's [itex](n! - 1)![/itex]. You slipped in an extra factorial there. :)

14. Jan 29, 2010 #13

Hence why the student kept arguing.

15. Jan 29, 2010 #14

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I would hardly call any coefficient insignificant, though.

What's the difference between [tex]x^3[/tex] and [tex]100x^3[/tex]? Only an insignificant coefficient that changes the answer by a factor of 2.

16. Jan 29, 2010 #15

that is in the simplest possible form

17. Jan 29, 2010 #16

I mean, you have one variable and 3 of the same operators. What are you hoping for?

18. Jan 29, 2010 #17

n!!=n(n-2)(n-4).... right? I get 1/((n-1)!!) just by writing it out and cancelling out.

19. Jan 29, 2010 #18

Good job. : )

20. Jan 29, 2010 #19

OH!

I was thinking (n!)!.

21. Jan 30, 2010 #20

uart

Science Advisor

I thought the same thing here Norm. Maybe the OP could have explained it's meaning since it's not such a common symbol and easily confused.

Also I must say that I find "double factorial" a very unintuitive name for that function. It should be called "half factorial" IMHO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook