N-Sphere Math Problem: Exploring the Definition of Solid Balls and N-Spheres

• Thread starter yourdadonapogostick
  • Start date
In summary, the equation \sum_{i=1}^{n+1} (x_i-c_i)^2{\leq}r^2 does not represent all points at a certain distance from the center, but rather the surface of an n-sphere. The set of points inside this surface can be referred to as the interior of the n-sphere or a closed n-ball. In topology, an n-sphere is the boundary of an (n+1)-ball, with the interior being commonly referred to as a ball or disc.
yourdadonapogostick
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n+1} (x_i-c_i)^2{\leq}r^2[/tex] is not the set of all points at a certain distance from the center, but it is a "solid ball", so is it still an n-sphere?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, the n-sphere is the surface defined by the equality.

who what is the inequality?

All points on [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n+1} (x_i-c_i)^2 = r^2[/itex] belong in an n-sphere (not points inside).

i know that, i was asking what the points inside(the inequality) is called, since it isn't a sphere.

I guess you'd simply call them "points inside the n-sphere" (?), though I'm not sure if 'inside' is well defined. In this case, though, you could define 'inside' as being on the same side of the surface as the center.

Last edited:
the volume which said n-sphere encapsulates?

How about "interior of the (n+1)-ball"?

The convention in topology as I learned it is

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} (x_i-c_i)^2{\leq}r^2[/tex]
is a closed n-ball or radius r (or just "closed ball" when you're in R^n Euclidean space)

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} (x_i-c_i)^2< r^2[/tex]
is an open n-ball or radius r or "open ball" in R^n.

Note that in R^n, a ball is n-dimensional and a sphere is (n-1)-dimensional; i.e., a topologist's n-sphere is the boundary of an (n+1)-ball.

The interiot is commonly called a ball or a disc.

What is an N-sphere in math?

An N-sphere is a generalization of a circle (2-sphere) and a sphere (3-sphere) to higher dimensions. It is a set of points in N-dimensional space that are equidistant from a fixed point, called the center, with a radius of r.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of an N-sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of an N-sphere is V = π^(N/2) * (r^N) / Γ(N/2 + 1), where r is the radius and Γ is the gamma function.

How is the surface area of an N-sphere calculated?

The formula for calculating the surface area of an N-sphere is A = 2 * π^(N/2) * (r^(N-1)) / Γ(N/2), where r is the radius and Γ is the gamma function.

What is the relationship between an N-sphere and an N-ball?

An N-sphere is the boundary of an N-ball, which is the set of all points inside an N-dimensional sphere. The radius of an N-sphere is equal to the radius of the N-ball.

How is the N-sphere math problem related to other fields of study?

The N-sphere math problem has applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and geometry. It is used to solve optimization problems, model physical phenomena, and understand higher-dimensional spaces.