N spin 1/2 particles in 3D harmonic oscillator potential

In summary, the 3-dimensional harmonic oscillator potential holds 38 identical non-reacting spin 1/2 particles to fill 19 low lying states through E=(3+3/2)\bar{h}ω. The total energy of the system is 147hω, and the Fermi energy is 9/2hω.
darthmonkey

Homework Statement

The 3-dimensional harmonic oscillator potential holds N identical non-reacting spin 1/2 particles

a)How many particles are needed to fill the low lying states through E=(3+3/2)[itex]\bar{h}[/itex]ω

b)What is the total energy of the system

c)what is the fermi energy

Homework Equations

E=(n+3/2)[itex]\bar{h}[/itex]ω
n=nx+ny+nz=3

The Attempt at a Solution

a)(1,0,0)*3,(1,1,0)*3,(2,0,0)*3,(1,1,1),(2,1,0)*6,(3,0,0)*3
19 states for 38 total particles
b)6E1+12E2+20E3=147[itex]\bar{h}[/itex]ω
c)Ef=(3+3/2)[itex]\bar{h}[/itex]ω
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'm pretty sure I did part a correct. If so part b should just be the sum of the number of particles at each energy right?

For part c isn't the given energy the fermi energy since I'm finding all the states below it?

I'm not really sure about my reasoning on the part b and c

Physics news on Phys.org
. Please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Hello,

First of all, your solution for part a is correct. You have correctly counted the number of particles needed to fill the low lying states through the given energy.

For part b, you are correct that the total energy of the system should be the sum of the energies of all the particles in the system. However, you have to be careful with the notation. The total energy of the system should be given as the sum of the individual energies of each particle, not the number of particles at each energy. So the correct expression for the total energy would be:

Etotal = 6E1 + 12E2 + 20E3

Additionally, you should also include the energy of the particles at the (1,0,0)*3 state, which is E0 = 3/2 * hω. So the final expression for the total energy would be:

Etotal = E0 + 6E1 + 12E2 + 20E3 = (3+3/2)hω + 6(1+3/2)hω + 12(2+3/2)hω + 20(3+3/2)hω = 147hω

For part c, you are correct that the given energy is the Fermi energy. However, the expression for the Fermi energy is given as:

Ef = (nx+ny+nz+3/2)hω

So the correct expression for the Fermi energy would be:

Ef = (3+3/2)hω = 9/2hω

I hope this helps clarify your reasoning for parts b and c. Good job on part a!

1. What is the physical significance of N spin 1/2 particles in a 3D harmonic oscillator potential?

The physical significance of N spin 1/2 particles in a 3D harmonic oscillator potential is that they represent a system of particles with spin 1/2 and are confined within a potential well that resembles a harmonic oscillator. This system is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in a confined space.

2. How do the energy levels of N spin 1/2 particles in a 3D harmonic oscillator potential compare to those of a single particle in the same potential?

The energy levels of N spin 1/2 particles in a 3D harmonic oscillator potential are similar to those of a single particle in the same potential, but they exhibit a degeneracy due to the spin states of the particles. This means that multiple energy levels can have the same energy value, but differ in their spin quantum numbers.

3. What is the significance of the spin of the particles in this system?

The spin of the particles in this system is significant because it affects the energy levels and degeneracy of the system. Spin is also a fundamental property of particles and plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as it determines how particles interact with each other and with external fields.

4. How does the potential energy of the 3D harmonic oscillator affect the behavior of the particles?

The potential energy of the 3D harmonic oscillator determines the confinement of the particles within the system. A stronger potential will result in tighter confinement, leading to higher energy levels and a smaller range of motion for the particles. Conversely, a weaker potential will result in looser confinement and lower energy levels for the particles.

5. What are some potential applications of studying N spin 1/2 particles in a 3D harmonic oscillator potential?

Studying N spin 1/2 particles in a 3D harmonic oscillator potential can have various applications in the field of quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics. It can help us understand the behavior of fermions in confined spaces, which is relevant in fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing. This system can also be used to model and analyze the properties of exotic materials, such as topological insulators, that exhibit unique quantum behavior.