1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N term metrix question

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not set it up as |A − λI| = 0 (where I is the identity matrix), then solve for λ?

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    it makes no difference

my gowl was to find the determinat
    and that what i have done
    now what next??
    i encountered some realy tough problems

??

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just start with the formula I stated, then proceed from there.

6. Feb 5, 2008 #5
    i know your formula
    youll noticed that i used it
    but in a different step
    i dont think there is any difference
    i have trouble to finish it

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's exactly what he did. Although he miswrote it as det A= ... when he has det A-[itex]\lambda[/itex]I after the "=".

transgalactic, for [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] you have [itex]x_2+ x_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x_n= 0[/itex], [itex]-x_2= x_2[/itex], ..., [itex]-x_n= x_n[/itex]. What does that give you? (It should give you one simple vector.)

For [itex]\lamba= 0[/itex], you have [itex]x_1+ x_2+ \cdot\cdot\dot+ x_n= 0[/itex]. What does that give you? (n- 1 vectors)

8. Feb 6, 2008 #7
    for L=1
    you got the expression of x2 in "n" terms
    i cant do it indefinetly

for L=0
    i know that i have n-1 vectors

what do i do now
    what do i right as the answer of the question
    ??

9. Feb 6, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] you have, as I said before, [itex]-x_2= x_2[/itex],[itex]-x_3= x_3[/itex], etc. That tells you that [itex]x_2= x_3= \cdot\cdot\cdot= 0[/itex]! Then, of course, the first equation, [itex]x_2+ x_1+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x_n= 0[/itex] is automatically satisfied. Every number except [itex]x_1[/itex] must be 0. Since [itex]x_1[/itex] does not appear in any equation, it is arbitrary. All eigenvectors corresponding to [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] are of the form <a, 0, 0, ..., 0> which is spanned, of course, by <1, 0, 0, ..., 0>.

If [itex]\lambda= 0[/itex] then you have the single equation [itex]x_1+ x_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \x_n= 0[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x_n= -(x_1+ x_2+ x_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x_{n-1})[/itex].
    Now do as I have suggested before: take each [itex]x_i[/itex] equal to 0 in turn, the others 0, and solve for [itex]x_n[/itex]. That will give you the n-1 vectors you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?