1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N-th root of unity

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that [itex]z=e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}},n\in\mathbb{N},k\in\mathbb{Z}, 0\leq k\leq n-1 [/itex] is an n-th root of unity.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know I have to come to the conclusion that [itex]z^{n}=1[/itex]. I'm thinking of using the property [itex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/itex], but when I try to break it up like that I get something strange like [itex]e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{n}}=cos(\frac{2k\pi}{n})+i( \frac{2k\pi}{n})[/itex] and I have to get it into a form like [itex]cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\theta) [/itex]. Any ideas on how to do that/am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at [itex]\left(e^{\displaystyle \left(\frac{2k\pi i}{n}\right)}\right)^n\,.[/itex]

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    Oh, so I get [itex]\left(e^{{\displaystyle \left(\frac{2k\pi i}{n}\right)}}\right)^{n}=e^{2k\pi i}=cos(2k\pi)+isin(2k\pi)... [/itex] which looks better. But how do I go from there?

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If k is an integer, that is equal to 1 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook