N-torus question: tori tori tori

• Thread starter CharlesRKiss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of dimensions required for every point on every torus to be unique, and the shape of shared points. The example given is a one-dimensional spindle torus, but the original question is more complex due to the nested nature of the tori. The shape of the shared points is described as either a point, a ring, or an n-sphere, and there is a desire to find a mathematical formula or equation to describe this problem.
CharlesRKiss
Please excuse the length; a simple question but difficult for me to ask!

If all great circles of a sphere are the radial axes of ring tori, how many
dimensions are required for "every" [use of quotation marks explained below]
point on every tori to be unique? If this is an example of an n-tours; what is n?
Or what is the shape of shared points?

Shared points are allowed if the shape of shared points is a point, or
form a ring, or form an n-sphere -is compact and differentiable.

**To be redundant, in hopes to clarify the question, here is an example:

SAMPLE ANSWER: One Dimension, Spindle Torus

SAMPLE QUESTION: If in a single plane, I were to draw a circle of radius R, and a point P on the circle was used as a common point to every other possible circle of radius R in the same plane, then all circles have a common point, P, but some pairs of circles have 2 common points. How many dimensions are required for "every" point on every circle to be unique? What is this form called?

Well, in the sample answer not "every" point is unique; that's why I'm using the quotes, it's just easier for me to ask the question this way.

**In the sample answer an infinite number of common points were reduced to one common point, by rotating every circle 90 degrees off the plane, thus adding one dimesnsion.

As to the original question, perhaps there's a ring or sphere of
common points, I won't presume. That's why I'm asking the question ;)

The larger problem is these tori are also completely nesting, and being
completely nested in, other tori! They share a common radial
axis, called 'b', but 'b' is not radially symmetric to all tori unless a=b=c;

I made a little drawing of half the nested tori cross-section to show the nesting.

postimage.org/image/28qaj7nms/

The surfaces of negative curvature (the inner surfaces) are closer to each other than the surfaces of positive curvature (the outer surfaces). (a sub i)*(c sub i)=b^2, if a=b=c; this would be the inner most
torus, a ring.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking to find out if there is an equation or formula to describe the number of dimensions required to make every point unique, and also what the shape of the common points would be. I'm looking for a mathematical description of the problem. Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is an N-torus?

An N-torus is a geometric shape that is formed by taking a circle and extending it into higher dimensions. It is essentially a higher-dimensional version of a donut or a torus.

2. How many dimensions does an N-torus have?

An N-torus can have any number of dimensions, but typically it is described as having n dimensions, where n is any positive integer.

3. What is the N-torus question?

The N-torus question is a mathematical problem that asks whether a given N-torus can be embedded in a higher-dimensional space without self-intersections. It is also known as the tori tori tori problem.

4. What is the significance of the N-torus question?

The N-torus question is important in the study of topology and geometry, as it helps to understand the properties and limitations of higher-dimensional spaces. It also has applications in fields such as computer graphics and physics.

5. Has the N-torus question been solved?

The N-torus question has been solved for some specific values of n, but it remains an open problem for general N-tori. Many mathematicians have made progress towards solving it, but a complete solution has not yet been found.