Understanding Nabla and its Derivatives in 3D Systems

In summary, the Nabla operator, denoted as ∇, is a generalization of the one-dimensional derivative operator to multiple dimensions. It is used to find the curl, divergence, and gradient in electromagnetic fields. In one dimension, the partial derivative and the normal derivative are the same, and there is only one way to take a derivative. However, in multiple dimensions, the Nabla operator includes a vector component for each dimension. It represents the direction in which a function is changing most rapidly and the magnitude of that change. In one dimension, it reduces to the standard derivative operator.
f(x)
Could some one explain what does Nabla operator actually signify ? I understand that the various products with nabla are used to find curl,divergence,gradient in EM, but what does Nabla represent in itself ? A more basic question would be, what does del operator(partial derivative) represent , in a 3d system ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a generalization of the derivative operator to multiple dimensions. That's all.

In one dimension, say along the x-axis, the derivative operator looks like this:

[itex]
\frac{d}
{{dx}} = \frac{\partial }
{{\partial x}} = \vec i \frac{\partial }
{{\partial x}}
[/itex]

Since there's only one dimension, the "normal" derivative and partial derivative are the same. Also, there's only way way to take a derivative in one dimension -- along that dimension. Thus, the [itex]\vec i[/tex] is implied.

In multiple dimensions, say x, y and z, it looks like:

[itex]
\nabla =
\vec i \frac{\partial }
{{\partial x}} + \vec j \frac{\partial }
{{\partial y}} + \vec k \frac{\partial }
{{\partial z}}
[/itex]

Same thing, just with more dimensions.

- Warren

I would disagree there, chroot.
The one-dimensional analogue of the partial derivative at a point, is the derivative with respect to the elements of some particular sequence converging to that point.

Remember that existence of all partial derivatives does not guarantee differentiability at that point; some similar restriction ought to be provable for "sequential" derivatives in the one-dimensional case.

arildno said:
I would disagree there, chroot.
The one-dimensional analogue of the partial derivative at a point, is the derivative with respect to the elements of some particular sequence converging to that point.

So you're saying that del doesn't reduce to the standard one-dimensional derivative d/dx? Can you explain a bit more?

- Warren

What I was referring to was, what does a partial derivative represent (in multiple dimensions) like it represents slope in one dimension co-ordinate system ?

a gradient vector. the direction in which the function is changing most rapidly, and the magnitude is the amount its changing

FunkyDwarf said:
a gradient vector. the direction in which the function is changing most rapidly, and the magnitude is the amount its changing
If it acts on a scalar field.

chroot said:
So you're saying that del doesn't reduce to the standard one-dimensional derivative d/dx? Can you explain a bit more?

- Warren
Hmm..what I meant is that a partial derivative is the derivative with respect to some proper subset of arguments in the vicinity of the point.
For example along the x-axis (or some line parallell to that) in 2-D, or along the rationals in the 1-D case.

Last edited:
chroot said:

- Warren

It's still a vector operator...so I would say that in one dimension:

[tex] \nabla = \hat{x}\frac{d}{dx} [/tex]

I'm sure Arildno's answer was better, but I didn't follow what he was saying.

1. What is Nabla and why is it important in 3D systems?

Nabla, also known as the del operator, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the gradient of a scalar field. It is important in 3D systems because it helps us understand the rate of change of a quantity in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you calculate the Nabla operator?

The Nabla operator is calculated as the vector sum of the partial derivatives of a function with respect to each of its independent variables. In three-dimensional space, it is represented as ∇ = (∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z).

3. What is the relationship between Nabla and its derivatives?

Nabla and its derivatives are closely related, as the derivatives of a function represent the rate of change of that function in a particular direction. The Nabla operator, on the other hand, represents the overall rate of change of the function in all directions.

4. How is Nabla used in vector calculus?

Nabla is used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. It is also used in the Laplace operator and other differential operators.

5. Can Nabla be applied to non-scalar fields?

Yes, Nabla can be applied to non-scalar fields such as vector fields and tensor fields. In these cases, the resulting Nabla operator will be a vector or tensor, respectively.