Calculate NaCl Density at 20C in lbs/ft3 | SG & PV=nRT Methods

• Thread starter zeshkani1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the density of NaCl at 20C can be calculated using the specific gravity method, which is around 2.1 times the reference density of solids/liquids (62 lbm/ft3). Another method is using the formula D=m/(RT) at 1 mole, where V=RT and D=58(g/mol)/(8.3x293K)=0.024. However, PV=nRT is not applicable for solids. It is also possible to use the FCC cube method, but this may make the problem seem harder than it is.
zeshkani1985
Calculate the density of NaCl at 20C in lbm/ft3 ?

since no volume was given i was wondering if this can be done this way
by using the Specific gravity which around 2.1x the referance density of solids/liquids which is 62 lbm/ft3 SG=p x pref

or can this be done using the PV=nRT, i assume at 1 mole so V=RT since D=m/v
D=m/(RT)
D=58(g/mol)/(8.3x293K)=0.024

i was also thinking of calculating the density using the FCC cube and go from there, I just think i' am making this problem seem harder than it is

Any feed back is appreciated

thx

Engineering news on Phys.org
PV=NRT is for ideal gases, not for soilds.

If you are given specific gravity all you have to do is to convert from one units to another.

zeshkani1985 said:
Calculate the density of NaCl at 20C in lbm/ft3 ?

since no volume was given i was wondering if this can be done this way

I just wanted to point out that you are given a volume... it says "in lbm/ft3". So you can assume a volume of 1 ft³.

Borek is the chemistry expert here though, so follow his approach! :)

1. What is the density of NaCl in lbm/ft3?

The density of NaCl (sodium chloride) in lbm/ft3 is approximately 84.88 lbm/ft3 at standard temperature and pressure.

2. How is the density of NaCl in lbm/ft3 calculated?

The density of NaCl in lbm/ft3 is calculated by dividing the mass of the substance by its volume. In this case, the mass is measured in pounds (lbm) and the volume is measured in cubic feet (ft3).

3. What factors can affect the density of NaCl in lbm/ft3?

The density of NaCl in lbm/ft3 can be affected by several factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. Changes in these factors can alter the arrangement of molecules and thus impact the density of the substance.

4. How does the density of NaCl in lbm/ft3 compare to other substances?

The density of NaCl in lbm/ft3 is relatively high compared to other substances. For example, the density of water at standard temperature and pressure is 62.4 lbm/ft3, while the density of air is only 0.075 lbm/ft3.

5. Why is it important to know the density of NaCl in lbm/ft3?

The density of NaCl in lbm/ft3 is an important property to know because it can help in determining the weight and volume of a given amount of the substance. This information is crucial in various industries such as food production, pharmaceuticals, and chemical manufacturing.