Calculating Nagaoka's Coefficient for Inductors

• Thread starter Fischer777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, the conversation is about obtaining Nagaoka's coefficient for an inductor. It is mentioned that when working with single-layer coils, the coefficient can be set to 1 and still result in accurate calculations. The question is whether this is true or if Nagaoka's coefficient needs to be computed independently for each inductor in order to find self-capacitance. Some suggested websites for more information are also provided.
Fischer777
I've tried searching the web, but so far I haven't run across any formula that states how to obtain Nagaoka's coefficient for an inductor. I have been told, however, that when working with single-layer coils the coefficient can be set to 1, and the calculation will still come out to be accurate within a few degrees of error. Is this true, or does Nagaoka's coefficient need to be computed independently for each inductor (I'm trying to find self-capacitance)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fischer777 said:
I've tried searching the web, but so far I haven't run across any formula that states how to obtain Nagaoka's coefficient for an inductor. I have been told, however, that when working with single-layer coils the coefficient can be set to 1, and the calculation will still come out to be accurate within a few degrees of error. Is this true, or does Nagaoka's coefficient need to be computed independently for each inductor (I'm trying to find self-capacitance)?

Have a look at these sites:

http://electronbunker.ca/CalcMethods.html

http://www.g3ynh.info/zdocs/magnetics/index.html

The last one even has Nagaoka's original paper.

1. How is Nagaoka's Coefficient calculated for inductors?

Nagaoka's Coefficient for inductors is calculated by dividing the inductance of the inductor by the square root of its self-inductance. This can be expressed as L/N, where L is the inductance and N is the self-inductance.

2. What is the significance of Nagaoka's Coefficient in the study of inductors?

Nagaoka's Coefficient is used to determine the efficiency of an inductor, as it represents the ratio of the inductance to the self-inductance. It is also used in the design and analysis of circuits where inductors are present.

3. How does Nagaoka's Coefficient affect the performance of inductors?

A higher Nagaoka's Coefficient indicates a more efficient inductor, as it means that the inductance is greater in proportion to the self-inductance. This can result in better performance and lower losses in circuits.

4. Are there any limitations to using Nagaoka's Coefficient for inductors?

While Nagaoka's Coefficient is a useful measure of efficiency for inductors, it does not take into account other factors such as resistance and capacitance that can also affect the performance of inductors. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other measures to fully evaluate an inductor's performance.

5. Can Nagaoka's Coefficient be applied to all types of inductors?

Yes, Nagaoka's Coefficient can be applied to all types of inductors as long as the inductance and self-inductance can be measured or calculated. However, it may be more applicable to certain types of inductors, such as air-core inductors, which have a higher self-inductance compared to other types.