Is NaHCO3 a versatile compound in aqueous solutions?

• Thread starter synergix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Base
In summary: However, if you were to add a strong acid to the system then the [H2CO3]/[CO32-] would decrease and the [HCO3-]/[H20] would increase. So in that sense the [HCO3-]/[H20] would be the indicator of which reaction predominate.
synergix

Homework Statement

Write two equations that illustrate that an aqeous solution of NaHCO3 can act either as an acid or a base. In pure water show quantitatively which of the two reactions predominate. ka1= 4.2x10-7, Ka2=4.8x10-11

The Attempt at a Solution

as an acid:

NaHCO3(aq) + H2O(l)---> H3O+(aq) + NaCO3-(aq)

Base:

NaHCO3(aq) + H2O(l) ------> OH-(aq) + NaH2CO3+(aq)

The second part is where I am having some trouble. I am not sure if I am doing this correctly so i will try to show and explain what I think will happen as best I can. I think Ka1 will predominate the reason being that kb1= (1x10^-14)/(4.2x10^-7)=2.38x10^-8
so Ka1>Kb1 therefore this reaction will proceed. Meaning most of the sodium bicarbonate will act as an acid and release protons. whereas Kb2=(1x10^-14)/(4.8x10^11)=2.08x10^-4.
so Kb2>>Ka2 so releasing a 2nd proton is not very favorable the species is much more likely to pick up another proton then it is to release another proton.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess if I am correct then the fact that Ka1 is quantitatively greater then kb1 is the proof that ka1 will predominate.

Your written reactions are good. For which dissocation of bicarbonate is more favorable, check the Na2CO3 hydrolysis steps on the way towards H2CO3, or check the dissocation steps of H2CO3 toward Na2CO3. You know how to find Ka from corresponding Kb, right?

How does NaHCO3 become Na2CO3? I am not sure exactly what you mean by checking the Na2CO3 hydrolysis steps on the way towards H2CO3.

Synergix, maybe I was sloppy with my terminology or notation. You were on a good track with your idea of comparing the acidic dissociation constant for bicarbonate to the equilibrium constant for HCO3- + H20 <===> H2CO3 + OH-
Are you studying weak acid-base equilibria right now? If so, you will soon know how to evaluate those constants.

Ya we have covered that already as part of the last section. I will look at it again maybe I can figure it out thanks.

pH of amphiprotic salt

I am not sure you can say which of the reactions dominate. If you will read through the lecture you will find that ratio [H2CO3]/[CO32-] is close to 1, that means both reactions proceed to the same degree.

1. What is the chemical formula for NaHCO3?

The chemical formula for NaHCO3 is sodium bicarbonate.

2. Is NaHCO3 an acid or a base?

NaHCO3 can act as both an acid and a base, depending on the environment it is in. In water, it can release a hydrogen ion, making it an acid. In the presence of a strong base, it can accept a hydrogen ion, making it a base.

3. How does NaHCO3 act as an acid?

When NaHCO3 is dissolved in water, it can release a hydrogen ion (H+) and a bicarbonate ion (HCO3-). This makes it an acid, as it increases the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

4. How does NaHCO3 act as a base?

In the presence of a strong base, NaHCO3 can accept a hydrogen ion from the base, forming water and a carbonate ion (CO3 2-). This makes it a base, as it decreases the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

5. What are some common uses of NaHCO3 as an acid or a base?

One common use of NaHCO3 as an acid is in baking, where it reacts with other ingredients to produce carbon dioxide gas and help baked goods rise. As a base, it is often used in antacids to neutralize excess stomach acid. It is also used in cleaning products as a mild abrasive and in cosmetic products as a pH adjuster.