Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Nails and large lunulae

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    Here people used to say that if someone has large lunula, then s/he is suffering from the deficiency of calcium. After searching the internet I found this: Abnormally large lunula (the white half-moon shape at the base of the nail) suggests an overactive thyroid, while the absence of a lunula can mean an under-active thyroid.

The thyroid produces the hormone calcitonin, which plays a role in calcium homeostasis.

Please read the following paragraph:

Primarily calcium is regulated by the actions of Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone and calcitonin. The only real regulatory organ is the parathyroid gland. The parathyroid glands are located behind the thyroid, and produce parathyroid hormone in response to low calcium levels. The parafollicular cells of the thyroid produce calcitonin in response to high calcium levels, but its significance is much smaller than that of PTH.

Don't you think overactive thyroid will produce large quantities of calcitonin which will in turn suppress the level of calcium in body? If this is correct, then those people are correct.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    I have very large lunulas (1/3 of the nail) but my doctor said after an TSH test that my thyroid is OK. There is definitely a reason for this condition (abnormally large lunulas). What other tests could I request?
  5. Mar 21, 2008 #4

Gold Member

I have Hashimoto's disease (a form of hypothyroid) and my nails are lunula-less!! :biggrin: HOWEVER - on the nail of my lt. 5th finger, my lunula is inverted and covers about 3/4 of the nail.

I've been told I'm 'different'... I guess it's true. :biggrin:
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll vouch for that one! :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?