Plotting Functions with Imaginary Terms: Calculator Guide

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plotting
In summary, plotting a function with an imaginary term (such as a*exp(ix)) can only be done in 3 dimensions using the y-axis for the real part and the z-axis for the imaginary part. This assumes that the independent variable is a real number.
Void123

Homework Statement

How do I plot a function with an imaginary term (e.g. a*exp (ix), etc.)? More importantly, how would I do it on a calculator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't - unless you do it in 3 dimensions using, say, the y- axis for the real part of the function value and the z- axis for the imaginary part of the function value. That, of course, assumes that the independent variable, x, is a real number since there is only one dimension left for it.

I see. I am a bit confused, since I have a problem asking me to plot a function with an imaginary term. Perhaps I have done it wrong (though I have looked over it and can't find an error) or I must plot in three dimensions.

What is naive plotting?

Naive plotting is a term that refers to the process of creating visual representations of data without considering the underlying statistical principles or techniques. It involves simply plotting the data points without taking into account factors such as sample size, distribution, or statistical significance.

Why is naive plotting problematic?

Naive plotting can lead to misleading or incorrect interpretations of data. Without considering statistical principles, the resulting plots may not accurately represent the data and can lead to false conclusions.

What are the potential consequences of using naive plotting techniques?

The consequences of using naive plotting techniques can include inaccurate conclusions, incorrect assumptions about relationships between variables, and a lack of meaningful insights from the data.

How can one avoid naive plotting?

To avoid naive plotting, it is important to have a basic understanding of statistical principles and techniques, and to carefully consider the data before creating visual representations. It is also helpful to consult with a statistician or use statistical software to guide the plotting process.

Are there any situations where naive plotting may be acceptable?

In some cases, naive plotting may be acceptable if the data is simple and the goal is to simply visualize the data without making any inferences or conclusions. However, in most cases, it is important to avoid naive plotting techniques in order to accurately represent and interpret the data.