Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naive Question

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    If I have to send a beta particle in space and if the space is completely empty (from matter and energy just imagine!!!!)
    What would happen to the particle?
    If I put a very good GM in 1 Km from the source should I detect the beta particle if the beta particle has the power of 0.5 Mev?
    Dose the beta particle decomposition in the emptiness of the space and why (there is nothing in that space to absorb the beta particle.) should the beta particle just continue moving until it hits something that absorb it or not!!!!
    Sorry about my Q maybe it look like a naive Question :smile: but really believe me I never get a answer that make me rest.
    thank you all

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi hagopbul !

Well, a beta particle is very stable, so - from good ol' Newton's first law - it should carry on for ever, or until it hits something! :smile:

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    NO wrong beta particle is not that stable and WILL decomposition in little time the Q is why?

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, a beta particle is either an electron or a positron, and both have mean lifetimes over a million billion times the present age of the universe! :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_decay

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    No this is a electron and yes the life time of it is huge ,but in beta particle the life time is small and may main Q is not the time it is Why???

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps you are thinking of the half-life of whatever created the beta particle?

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    my mistake it is huge[age] but why it decomposition disappear ?????????????????????

10. Mar 10, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand - what do you mean about the decomposition disappearing? :confused:

11. Mar 10, 2008 #10
    the beta particle decay after [t] time Why?????????

12. Mar 10, 2008 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't decay

It doesn't decay!

(Well, not for millions of billions of times longer than the age of the universe …)

13. Mar 10, 2008 #12
    yes it decay the Q is why???? I don't care about time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?