1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name for binning a variable with respect to another variable(s)

  1. Feb 17, 2012 #1

    Sorry if it's not the right place as this question is a bit generic.

    Let say we have N datapoint triplets xi, yi, zi.
    If we ask "how many points" there are in the interval X < x < XX and Y < y < YY (where X and Y are some gridpoints) -- then this is a 2D histogram.

    But in each such 2D bin there is some distribution of z values. How would you call a 2D map of the average (or whatever distribution moment) of the z values in the 2D bin around (X,Y)? I just can't think of the right term! It's not what I would usually consider interpolation.

    I'll be very happy if someone knows the name of this procedure.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted