Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name for this part/mechanism?

  1. Jul 9, 2013 #1
    I am referring to the gear-like circular faces that interlock when forced together and allow rotation when unlocked on these arms. I want to design one, but I can't seem to find out what its called.


    Any advice as to how to make these out of metal in a basic machine shop is also welcome.

  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2013 #2

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Welcome to PF;
    Have a look in the manual that comes with it to find out what the manufacturer calls them.
    I know them as "locking screws" or "locking pins" depending on their operation.

    The simplest operation is just to have a bolt through the joint - tightening the bolt makes the joint stiffer.
    After that you can have all the fun you like with toothed wheels and pins - which will only lock the joint at particular angles.
  4. Jul 11, 2013 #3
  5. Jul 11, 2013 #4

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Well done.:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook