Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Name of a phenomen ?!

1. Mar 13, 2016 #1
    Hi there.
    Long time ago i saw a video of a physical phenom. The procedure was : At the bottom we have something like a puck (a circle with thickness), which is rotating. And above with have a jar of water. And when we throw some dye. We can see that phenom : there is like an invisible cylindre that follow the circle at the bottom but in water. So we have the dye who spread everywear but not in this cylindre.

I can't remember what was the name of the phenom, and i coudln't fint it with key-words on internet. Thanks for helping me.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you thinking of this?

I'm not sure if there's a specific name for this, though it works because the ink doesn't spread much, and the flow of the fluid surrounding the ink is not turbulent.
    Instead of dissolved, I think one says that the ink is enfolded in the fluid.

4. Mar 13, 2016 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To me it sounds like you may be describing a Taylor column. Try looking in the videos section of

spinlab.ess.ucla.edu

Jason

5. Mar 14, 2016 #4
    Thanks for your response.
    Sorry jfizzix this not this.
    Jason, this was just like Taylor column but the object was not un the water. Your answer help me a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted