1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Name of a phenomen ?!

  1. Mar 13, 2016 #1
    Hi there.
    Long time ago i saw a video of a physical phenom. The procedure was : At the bottom we have something like a puck (a circle with thickness), which is rotating. And above with have a jar of water. And when we throw some dye. We can see that phenom : there is like an invisible cylindre that follow the circle at the bottom but in water. So we have the dye who spread everywear but not in this cylindre.

    I can't remember what was the name of the phenom, and i coudln't fint it with key-words on internet. Thanks for helping me.

    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Are you thinking of this?

    I'm not sure if there's a specific name for this, though it works because the ink doesn't spread much, and the flow of the fluid surrounding the ink is not turbulent.
    Instead of dissolved, I think one says that the ink is enfolded in the fluid.
  4. Mar 13, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    To me it sounds like you may be describing a Taylor column. Try looking in the videos section of


  5. Mar 14, 2016 #4
    Thanks for your response.
    Sorry jfizzix this not this.
    Jason, this was just like Taylor column but the object was not un the water. Your answer help me a lot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted

Similar Threads - Name phenomen Date
I Is there a named unit for inertia? Sep 30, 2017
B Why are some random physical quantitites given a name? Apr 5, 2017
Names of inertial forces Nov 4, 2014