Gas Expansion: The Property of Filling Volume and Shape

In summary, the question asks for the specific name of the property of gas that causes it to expand to fill the volume and shape of its container. This behavior is a consequence of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the entropy of a closed system tends to a maximum. While it is a common behavior of gas, it is only one aspect of a larger principle.
vannenberg

Homework Statement

More of a simple nomenclature question than a physics question:

Is there a specific name for the property of gas that says gas will expand to fill the volume and shape of its container? Or is it just called one of the basic properties of gas?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried Googling several permutations of "name property gas expand volume shape container," but no dice.

(It's not really a homework question -- I'm a liberal arts major, the last science course I took was geology 1000 :wink: -- but I was just curious, and I figured this sort of question might pop up in middle- or high-school level science classes. I apologize in advance if I should have posted this in another subforum.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vannenberg, welcome to PF. This behavior is a consequence of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which says that the entropy of a closed system tends to a maximum. In this case, the entropy (that is, the number of possible microstates) of the gas is generally highest when it fills a container with uniform pressure and temperature.

So you are right, it is a typical behavior of gas, but it is only one part of a much more general principle.

Thanks very much for the answer and for the welcome, Mapes! I really appreciate it. :-)

What is the name of the property of gas that determines its volume?

The property of gas that determines its volume is known as its compressibility. This refers to how easily the gas can be compressed into a smaller volume under pressure.

How does the property of gas known as "diffusivity" affect its behavior?

The property of gas known as diffusivity refers to how easily the gas molecules can spread out and mix with other gases. This determines the rate at which a gas will mix with its surroundings.

What is the relationship between gas pressure and the property of gas known as "molar mass"?

The property of gas known as molar mass refers to the mass of one mole of gas molecules. The relationship between gas pressure and molar mass is that as molar mass increases, so does gas pressure.

What is the name of the property of gas that describes its resistance to flow?

The property of gas that describes its resistance to flow is known as viscosity. This refers to how easily the gas can flow and is affected by factors such as temperature and molecular size.

How does the property of gas known as "thermal conductivity" affect its ability to transfer heat?

The property of gas known as thermal conductivity refers to how easily heat can pass through the gas. This determines the rate at which a gas can transfer heat and is affected by factors such as temperature and molecular interactions.