Understanding the Chemical Structure: 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol and Its Properties

• Thread starter KurtWagner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, the chemical formula for 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol is C7H14O. The molecule is structured with a 7-carbon chain, a double bond between the 5th and 6th carbon atoms, a methyl group on the 3rd carbon atom, and an OH group on the 1st carbon atom. It is a colorless liquid with a fruity odor, and has various uses in industries such as food and fragrance production. While it may cause irritation and discomfort in high concentrations, it is generally considered safe for use in consumer products.
KurtWagner
Hi,

I am not too sure of the name of an alcohol that I am trying to work out.

CH2=CH CH2 CH (CH3) CH2 CH2 OH

The name I came up with was

3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol

But I can not seem to get confirmation by looking it up on google, thus making me think I am wrong.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
ChemSketch agrees.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the chemical formula for 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol?

The chemical formula for 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol is C7H14O.

2. How is the 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol molecule structured?

The 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol molecule consists of a 7-carbon chain with a double bond between the 5th and 6th carbon atoms. The 3rd carbon atom also has a methyl group attached, giving the molecule its name. The 1st carbon atom is bonded to an OH group, making it an alcohol compound.

3. What are the physical properties of 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol?

3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol is a colorless liquid with a strong, fruity odor. It has a boiling point of 127°C and a melting point of -84°C. It is slightly soluble in water and highly soluble in organic solvents.

4. What are the possible uses of 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol?

3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol has many uses in various industries. It is commonly used as a flavoring agent in food and beverages due to its fruity aroma. It is also used in the production of fragrances and perfumes. In addition, it can be used as a solvent in the manufacturing of paints, varnishes, and other coatings.

5. Is 3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol toxic?

3-methylhex-5-en-1-ol is considered to be a low-toxicity compound. It may cause irritation to the skin and eyes upon contact. Ingestion of large amounts may also cause gastrointestinal discomfort. However, it is not classified as a hazardous substance and is generally considered safe for use in consumer products when used in appropriate concentrations.