What apparatus can be used to capture H2O gas in a lab experiment?

• Thread starter MichaelXY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses conducting a lab experiment involving heating MgSO4 7H2O in a crucible to determine the percentage of H2O. The individual expresses interest in capturing the H2O gas in another container for further analysis and inquires about suitable apparatus for this purpose. The response suggests using high temperature glassware and a Liebig's condenser, and also mentions the possibility of using a simple glass retort.
MichaelXY
In a lab experiment we put some MgSO4 7H2O into a crucible, and brought it to a high temperature using a Bunsen burner. After 10 minutes of heating we massed out the crucible and contents to determine the % of H2O.
Okay, I had no problem with this, and my question is this. I wish to take this experiment a step further and actually capture the H2O gas into another container so I can mass out the H2O.

I can picture a setup being similar to stated above except I would need a sealed crucible with a gas port, and another sealed container to receive the gas. My problem is that I do not know what apparatus I would use that would have the same heat resistant properties of a crucible, have a sealed lid, and also have a gas port. Does anyone know what such a apparatus would be called?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
High temperature (96% silica) glassware and a Liebig's condenser, ought to do the trick. You actually only need to go a little above 200C to dehydrate MgSO4.xH2O of all its hydrates, but if you want to be sure, take it up to say, 300C. Borosilicate glass is rated for only about 220-240C, but silica glass is rated for up to nearly 1000C.

Thanks for the reply. So do you think a setup like shown below would work?

condensor.jpg

what about a simple glass reort.

1. What is the purpose of using "Name of Apparatus" in experiments?

The purpose of using "Name of Apparatus" in experiments is to accurately measure and manipulate various physical and chemical properties of substances in order to collect data and obtain reliable results.

2. How does "Name of Apparatus" work?

"Name of Apparatus" works by utilizing specific components and mechanisms to carry out a specific function, such as measuring volume, temperature, or pressure. The design of the apparatus is based on scientific principles and allows for precise and controlled experimentation.

3. What are the safety precautions when using "Name of Apparatus"?

When using "Name of Apparatus", it is important to follow all safety precautions to prevent any accidents or injuries. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and handling hazardous substances with caution.

4. Can "Name of Apparatus" be used for different types of experiments?

Yes, "Name of Apparatus" can be used for a wide range of experiments in various scientific fields. Its versatility allows for different configurations and adjustments to suit the specific needs of the experiment.

5. What are the advantages of using "Name of Apparatus" over other measurement tools?

"Name of Apparatus" offers many advantages over other measurement tools, such as its accuracy, precision, and ability to handle a wide range of substances and conditions. It also allows for real-time data collection and can be easily calibrated for consistent and reliable results.