Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of the experiment

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    i need the name of the experiment where you pass an electron through a p.d. and it accelerates, but as the electron's predicted acceleration (from field strength etc) would give a relativistic velocity, the results do not agree with newtonian mechanics?

he said it's useful evidence, in a fairly simple experiment, for special relativity but i can't find the name of it :(

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Who said? :smile:

Practically every high-energy particle accelerator built since World War II fits this description. Their designs assume that the particles follow relativistic dynamics and not Newtonian dynamics. They wouldn't work if the particles followed Newtonian dynamics.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's Bucherer he was thinking of, then it has some historical importance because it was done in 1909, so it predated not just particle accelerators and WW II but WW I as well.

6. Aug 31, 2010 #5
    Oops, I meant to say my physics teacher did. And that's very true, but I think he was talking about that specific one mentioned as I'm doing a project on relativity (I'm in UK 6th form - age 17 - so not yet at degree level - this is considered supplementary to my a level studies) and I need to discuss evidence that suggested it such as Michaelson-Morley and outline the theory etc.

Looks useful thank you :D And I'll look into buying the book.

Yeah that's the sort of thing I needed, thank you :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook