1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of the movement of a wheel

  1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    I would really like someone to answer this simple question.

    I have searched the net and i cannot find the answer, i know i have only just read it but i cant remember where.

    Basically all i want to know is the name of the movement of a while when it is moving a vehicle (i dont mean around in a circle, it's the one where it arches over on each movement, like crawling when you drag your arms back, they remain still but your body moves forwards).

    Also can you show me a website that explains it? Just the website that explained would be fine but if you can explain it here i will be more than grateful.

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Vertically, its simple harmonic motion. http://schutz.ucsc.edu/~josh/5A/book/harmonic/node9.html is a diagram. I'm not sure if the horizontal motion has a name.

    Edit: I guess horizontally, its also harmonic, but with a positive displacement. Take the sine or cosine graph and add 1.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2004 #3
    Thank you sir, that is almost what i was looking for, it isn't exactly it but it may help me find what i need!

    Im mainly thinking about the movement of the part of the wheel that touches the floor.

    ill draw a picture and upload it if i can. Dont laugh at my van gogh artist skills! :rofl:

    Basically im interested in the Red point of the wheel in that diagram. What is that motion / path of that point of the wheel called when it turns round and drives a machine?

    I hope the picture can help explain what i am trying to get at! :)

    Attached Files:

  5. Oct 8, 2004 #4
    That looks a bit like a sin^2 graph to me.

    If you plotted y= (sinx)^2 then you would get something very similar to that..
  6. Oct 8, 2004 #5


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Petrushka, I believe the curve you are looking for is a cycloid. A cycloid is the path traced out by a point on the circumference of a moving wheel. For points inside and outside the wheel, you get epi- and hypo-cycloids.
  7. Oct 11, 2004 #6
    Absolutely BANG ON THE MONEY!
    thank you sir!
    i owe you a few drinks!! :smile:
  8. Oct 18, 2004 #7


    User Avatar

    its circular motion + linear motion to get the displacement
  9. Oct 19, 2004 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  10. Oct 19, 2004 #9


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I'm known for not refusing such offers :tongue2:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook