What is the name of this steel alloy?

In summary, the composition of the steel alloy in question is (min ; max):- C: ( - ; 0.05)- Si: ( - ; 1.00)- Mn: (0.10 ; 0.30)- Cr: (11.50 ; 14.00)- P: ( - ; 0.02)- S: ( - ; 0.005)- Mo: (1.50 ; 2.50)- Ni: (4.50 ; 7.00)It is speculated to be a martensitic or precipitation hardening steel, but the exact name/number is unknown. There are many different named/numbered steel alloys in use
k_amy21
Name of the steel alloy?!?

Hi,

can someone please tell me how can I find out the name of an alloy if I have its composition?
Here are the percentages of each element inside:

Composition in % (min ;max)
C ( - ; 0.05)
Si ( - ; 1.00)
Mn (0.10 ;0.30)
Cr (11.50 ; 14.00)
P ( - ; 0.02)
S ( - ; 0.005)
Mo (1.50 ; 2.50)
Ni (4.50 ; 7.00)

I suppose it´s a martensitic or precipitation hardening steel, but I need the exact name/number according to which I could find it in industries (in case I decide to buy it).

Thanks in advance.

A.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

It looks like a PH13-5. It's close to some martensitic and semi-austenitic grades.

Does it have any copper in it by any chance?

One can find some similar grades in this table.
http://www.euro-inox.org/pdf/map/Tables_TechnicalProperties_EN.pdf (page 7 of 24 in pdf)

Last edited by a moderator:

k_amy21 said:
I suppose it´s a martensitic or precipitation hardening steel, but I need the exact name/number according to which I could find it in industries (in case I decide to buy it).

Be warned that there are about 10,000 different "named/numbered" steel alloys in use worldwide - so finding an "exact" match to the name will probably be impossible, unless you know who made it, or you restrict your search to the alloys that are commonly used for a particular applcation.

Thank you for your fast respond and sorry for not answering sooner. I was searching all over the internet to try to find anything about this PH13-5 alloy. Unfortunately, I wasn´t able to find anything about it.
Astronuc:
- Where did you just find the name of that alloy!? Thanks for the file, it´s really helpfull! But is there a free software or smth similar where I can just type in the composition and that it gives me all the possibilities of the alloy names? The reason why I´m asking is because someone told me that it could be an alloy PH14-4?
- the company which gave me these data, did not mention there is copper inside. I really doubt they know it cause they also got these data from another company...

AlephZero:
- You want to say that every industry that is involved in producing alloys has it´s own way of naming/numbering the alloys? Gosh.. I thought it was universal, for example, alloy 1.4404 has the same composition on every website I looked at. Can you please clarify me that? I am not so much into this "labeling". ;)

Regards

Why don't you ask the supplier what standard their steel conforms with? If they aren't producing it to a standard or buying it from a forge that does and they can't provide Quality Assurance documentation then its probably not worth buying. BS 2HC 101:1989 is a British Standard for precipitation hardening chromium - nickel steels. If you can get a copy of that you could check its standard

k_amy21 said:
Thank you for your fast respond and sorry for not answering sooner. I was searching all over the internet to try to find anything about this PH13-5 alloy. Unfortunately, I wasn´t able to find anything about it.
Astronuc:
- Where did you just find the name of that alloy!? Thanks for the file, it´s really helpfull! But is there a free software or smth similar where I can just type in the composition and that it gives me all the possibilities of the alloy names? The reason why I´m asking is because someone told me that it could be an alloy PH14-4?
- the company which gave me these data, did not mention there is copper inside. I really doubt they know it cause they also got these data from another company...

AlephZero:
- You want to say that every industry that is involved in producing alloys has it´s own way of naming/numbering the alloys? Gosh.. I thought it was universal, for example, alloy 1.4404 has the same composition on every website I looked at. Can you please clarify me that? I am not so much into this "labeling". ;)

Regards
Each supplier makes some standard grades, but then makes custom variants.

On the PH13-5, I was following convention with respect to Cr-Ni weight %. Normally the Cr-Ni numbers are in the middle range. So an 18-8 stainless steel would have nominally 18% Cr and 8% Ni, but could have 17-18% Cr and 7-9% Ni. Manufacturers like a wide tolerance so they don't have to reject a lot (ingots/melts) of material.

FYI - http://www.al6xn.com/SSSguide.pdf

PH13-5 would imply 11.5-14 (or tighter 12.5-13.5) Cr and Ni 4.5-5.5

With Cr (11.50 ; 14.00) and Ni (4.50 ; 7.00), that's probably closer to a 13-6, and it's probably non-standard. There is Mo (1.50 ; 2.50), but there could also be copper, but not necessarily.

15-5 PH Cr: 14-15.5, Ni 4.5-5.5 but also Cu: 2.5-4.5
http://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_products/stainless/precipitation/15-5_PH_Data_Sheet.pdf
17-4 PH Cr: 15-17.5, Ni 3.0-5.0 and also Cu: 3.0-5.0
http://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_products/stainless/precipitation/17-4_PH_Data_Bulletin.pdf

14-4 PH Cr: 13.5 - 14.25, Ni: 3.75 - 4.75, but also Mo: 2.0 - 2.5 and Cu: 3.0 - 3.5

13-8 (13-8 PH, or PH13-8 Mo)
Cr: 12.25-13.25, Ni: 7.5-8.5 and Mo: 2.00-2.50
http://www.atimetals.com/ludlum/Documents/13-8(062606).pdf

There are handbooks or catalogs of steel products, but they can be quite expensive. There is one that has an extensive list of custom grades, but I can't think of it at the moment. I saved some sample pages somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the composition of this steel alloy?

The composition of this steel alloy varies depending on the specific type, but it typically consists of iron, carbon, and other elements such as manganese, nickel, chromium, and molybdenum. These elements are added to improve the strength, hardness, and corrosion resistance of the alloy.

What are the properties of this steel alloy?

The properties of this steel alloy also depend on the specific type, but some common properties include high strength, hardness, and wear resistance. It may also have good ductility and toughness, making it suitable for various applications.

What are the uses of this steel alloy?

This steel alloy has a wide range of uses in various industries, including construction, automotive, manufacturing, and aerospace. It is often used for its strength and durability in applications that require high performance and resistance to wear and corrosion.

What is the difference between this steel alloy and other types of steel?

This steel alloy differs from other types of steel in terms of its composition and properties. For example, it may have a higher carbon content and added elements that give it specific properties, such as increased strength or corrosion resistance.

How is this steel alloy produced?

This steel alloy is typically produced through a process called alloying, where other elements are added to molten iron to create the desired composition. It may also undergo heat treatment processes to further enhance its properties before being formed into various products.