Name of these types of math questions

• Thread starter RJ1817
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a type of math question from Grade 12 Discrete Math class where numbers were divided and the answer would either be true or false depending on whether the result was a whole number or not. These types of problems are known as divisibility problems and are studied in elementary number theory, with topics such as modular equations being important for solving them.
RJ1817
kind of an odd questions, but I'm trying to remember these types of math questions, and what they were known as but i can't seem to recall. I'm pretty sure they were from Grade 12 Discrete Math class. The questions would be set up something like this: 5(10) or 2(3) and the answer to them would either be true or false. The answer would be true when dividing the numbers would produce a whole number (10/5=2) and it would be false if you divided them and they weren't whole numbers (ex: 3/2=1.5)

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple arithmetic.

Divisibility problems are usually studied in elementary number theory (though they are very important in other topics in math such as group theory and discrete math). Topics such as modular equations are important for these types of problems.

What are algebraic equations?

Algebraic equations are mathematical expressions that contain variables, numbers, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal of solving an algebraic equation is to find the value of the variable.

How do I solve a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula or factorization method. The solutions to a quadratic equation can be real, imaginary, or complex numbers.

What is the difference between arithmetic and geometric sequences?

Arithmetic sequences are a series of numbers where each term is obtained by adding a fixed number, called the common difference, to the previous term. Geometric sequences, on the other hand, are a series of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number, called the common ratio. In arithmetic sequences, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in geometric sequences, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a and b are the lengths of the shorter sides and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

How do I find the area of a circle?

The area of a circle can be found using the formula A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. The value of π is approximately 3.14. Alternatively, you can use the formula A = (πd^2)/4, where d is the diameter of the circle. You can also use the area of a circle calculator to find the area quickly and accurately.