1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of this law ?

  1. Jul 4, 2005 #1

    I saw a question on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" about a physics law where for example shaking a jar containing a big number of objects (like rocks, or chestnuts) will result in the bigger ones rising to the surface. I never got the chance to find the answer but does anyone know the name of this law so I can google it? or does anyone know how this works?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2005 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    It's not a "law"; it's an effect: the "Brazil Nut Effect".
  4. Jul 4, 2005 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Percolation, surely?

    It's essentially the effect of small particles falling through the gaps between large particles.
  5. Jul 6, 2005 #4
    The gaps are created by the larger material interfacing and colliding with other larger material. Why does the smaller material fall through the gaps?
  6. Jul 6, 2005 #5
    "Why does the smaller material fall through the gaps?"
  7. Jul 6, 2005 #6


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Unless the objects are very regular in shape, the large objects have larger gaps between them than the small objects, on average. The small objects can't make it between the gaps between small objects, but can make it between the gaps between large objects.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook