Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of universe

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    Is there a term for the area of the big bang to distingush it from the bulk universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    As far as I know no term like that exists, because no physical distinction is possible according to current mainstream beliefs- the bulk universe is simply the big bang "area", stretched out over time.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Within cosmology, we usually use the term "Hubble Volume".

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Wallace

Science Advisor

No, the Hubble volume is only equal to the observable Universe for a particular set of cosmological parameters, which are not those we find for our Universe.

To answer the OP, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but I think the best answer would be 'the observable Universe' which is what we conventionally call the patch of the Universe we can in principle see given the age of the Universe and the expansion history (which tells you how 'far' photons can travel from the Big Bang until now).

As MikeyW said, we have no reason to beleive the regions beyond this are substantially different in nature, and in terms of the models we have for the Universe we assume that this region has on average the same kind of properites as the part of the Universe we can see, but of course since we can't see it we don't know for sure.

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5
    No such area. Big bang was everywhere you look, just as MikeyW said.

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, not exactly. The Hubble volume is a word which is still bandied about to describe our local universe, though we understand it's not specifically talking about the universe out to the limits of our vision. The original poster didn't specifically say the observable universe.

As far as I know, there actually aren't any cosmological parameters for which the Hubble volume is exactly the size of the observable universe. But in De Sitter space it is the volume inside the future horizon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook