Name or Label for the outer most point of a rotating object

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a term or label to describe the outermost point of rotation for an object with a rotational axis named "Pivot." The conversation also mentions the lack of answers to the question and the potential difficulty of finding an answer. The conversation then delves into potential names for the outermost point, including "sphere" for a perfectly round object and "perihelion" and "aphelion" for planetary orbits. Ultimately, it is suggested that a more technical term may be needed for this concept.
Blizzardchris
Hey all, I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question though, if the name or label "Pivot" describes the rotational axis of an object is there a term or label used to describe the outer most point of the rotation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no one answered your question. I’m new to PF but think when there are no answers to a question that means the question is not worthy or is too difficult. For me, I think your question is worthy and too difficult but that never stopped me from answering as long as I admit up front that it is wobbly and for entertainment only. I am a retired engineer who early on found I was better at managing engineers than doing engineering so they made me the pointy haired boss. But I love science and especially physics.
If the object is a perfectly round then the outermost point is located everywhere on the surface and is called the “sphere” (as well as everything inside). For irregular shapes like a five sided polygon—I couldn’t find an answer. It may well be called, “The outermost point”. Really though, it should have a more techy name than that.

1. What is the outer most point of a rotating object called?

The outer most point of a rotating object is called the "apex" or "periphery".

2. How is the outer most point of a rotating object different from the center?

The outer most point of a rotating object is the farthest distance from the center of rotation, while the center is the point of rotation itself.

3. What is the purpose of identifying the outer most point of a rotating object?

Identifying the outer most point of a rotating object can help determine the speed and direction of rotation, as well as the forces acting on the object.

4. Can the outer most point of a rotating object change?

Yes, the outer most point of a rotating object can change if the speed or direction of rotation changes.

5. Are there different labels for the outer most point of a rotating object?

Yes, there are various terms used to describe the outer most point of a rotating object, such as "outer edge", "rim", or "circumference".