What is this unusual fungus/mold found in a humidor?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the fungus/mold is a deep buttery yellow and has feathery tips. It is identified as a type of bracket fungus that grows on moist wood. It is Unknown where this fungus/mold might be found, but it is possible that it is found in the area where the speaker lives. The fungus/mold might not be able to grow, as there is not enough food for it, or it might grow back in 6 months. It might be poisonous if eaten, as it has low levels of mycelium cell wall chitin.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Anyone recognify this fungus/mold?

fungus.jpg

It's under a gallon bucket of water in my humidor (which is not properly ventilated). Those are cedar planks.

It's a deep buttery yellow. I do not think it's slime mold. It's very feathery, like cotton candy, right to the tips.

You can see it here in its full 4000x3000 glory (click to zoom to 100%).

I have yet to find a single example of it anywhere online.

Attachments

• fungus.jpg
    fungus.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
Likes Hoophy and BillTre
Biology news on Phys.org
Well, it's pretty, whatever it is

DaveC426913 said:
Anyone recognify this fungus/mold?
Yes and no.
I have yet to find a single example of it anywhere online.
It might be where I live, but I see that kind of thing all the time.
But like you, I had trouble finding it online, until I googled: mushroom mycelium
and clicked on "images"

So, I believe it could be anyone of a bazillion of a type of mushroom root system restricted to a 2-D surface.

OmCheeto said:
But like you, I had trouble finding it online, until I googled: mushroom mycelium
and clicked on "images"
Yeah, it's definitely that cotton candy-like fungus stuff.

Maybe I should leave it to see what it grows into?

I lied, it's not buttery yellow - it's the deeper peach colour of chanterelles, like this:
s-l300.jpg

Maybe it'll be edible!

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 866
DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, it's definitely that cotton candy-like fungus stuff.

Maybe I should leave it to see what it grows into?
Not sure there's enough mushroom food for it to grow, unless you're willing to fill your humidor with dead leaves and dirt.

I lied, it's not buttery yellow - it's the deeper peach colour of chanterelles, like this:
View attachment 237863

Maybe it'll be edible!

I have only once eaten a wild mushroom.
I was told it was harmless.
I was told WRONG!
Never again.

That's one interesting mushroom! Wonderful if that will still grow and bloom.

Best guess, see pictures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypore common name bracket fungus. They grow on moist wood, live, dead, or dying.

It'll do fine if you put back the way it was. Most bracket fungi are edible, taste kind of like very well done baked plywood. Chewy to say the least. DO NOT try to eat any of that. I've had graduate courses in Mycology and I would not consider eating it ever. Let it grow. And if it is a bracket you will see one the shelf-like dudes sticking out in about 6 months when it is warm.

The bracket under side has a huge number of tiny holes to allow spores to fall out. Those spores may make more mycelium and eventually some brackets. If every one of those spores made some brackets then most of an area the size of Rhode Island would be knee deep in brackets: "or all the seas with oysters grow"; a very R-selected species like oysters, elm trees, and Polypores, all of them produce huge numbers of propagules, few live to the reproductive stage later on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory

You can make spore prints of brackets and their mushroom cousins, mushrooms are more interesting, IMHO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_print

Likes BillTre
jim mcnamara said:
Most bracket fungi are edible, taste kind of like very well done baked plywood.
Jim, if you are back to eating plywood, you need to check the dosage on your meds :-p

Well then, how about fried blanket?

@phinds the cell wall of fungi is made primarily of chitin, the same stuff as insect exoskeleton. Because brackets have very low MC like 30%, they are not a good choice for cooking or chewing after cooking.
Mushrooms (Agaricus campestris) are high MC like 90%+. Almost no chitin.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Name that animal-like thing"?

The purpose of "Name that animal-like thing" is to test your knowledge of different animals and their characteristics. It is a fun and educational game that challenges you to identify various animal-like creatures based on their appearance and behavior.

2. How do you play "Name that animal-like thing"?

To play "Name that animal-like thing", you will be shown an image or description of an animal-like creature and given a set of options to choose from. You must select the correct name of the creature to earn points and advance to the next round.

3. Are the animal-like creatures in "Name that animal-like thing" real or fictional?

The animal-like creatures in "Name that animal-like thing" are a mix of both real and fictional creatures. Some may be based on real animals with exaggerated features, while others may be entirely fictional.

4. Can I learn about new animals by playing "Name that animal-like thing"?

Yes, playing "Name that animal-like thing" can be a great way to learn about new animals. The game includes a variety of creatures from different habitats and environments, so you may come across animals you have never heard of before.

5. Is "Name that animal-like thing" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Name that animal-like thing" is suitable for all ages. It is a family-friendly game that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. It also serves as a great educational tool for younger players to learn about different animals.

Back