What is this mysterious bug with a hook in its tail?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, a small, flattened critter with a prehensile hook in its tail, two tusk-like appendages, and a very active and supple body was discovered after pricking the speaker's hand. Suggestions were made that it could be a larva of some sort, possibly resembling a shrimp or the "ear bug" from Wrath of Khan. Other suggestions included a silverfish, earwig, armadillobedbug, and hoverfly larva, but none of these matched the description. The speaker was advised to seek help from websites such as whatsthatbug.com and nature.gardenweb.com for identification.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This critter (see attachment - not diagram) came to my attention by pricking me in the hand with a hook in its tail.

About 7mm long. Flattened profile. Prehensile hook in tail. Two tusk-like appendages straight out front. Very active, very supple.

Must be a larva of some sort.

Ideas?

Reminds me very much of a shrimp or of the "ear bug" from Wrath of Khan.
bug-in-ear.jpg

Attachments

• PF20110711_bug.jpg
    PF20110711_bug.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
came to my attention by pricking me in the hand with a hook in its tail.
If it got my attention that way it would be called "dead".

sort of looks like a silverfish, but if the hook is in the tail, maybe earwig?

zoobyshoe said:
If it got my attention that way it would be called "dead".

It used it to hang on when its legs were occupied, like a caterpillar uses its ... (Googling) ... anal prolegs.

armadillobedbug.

silverfish, earwig, armadillobedbug, Hoverfly larva

Nope, nope, nope, nope. None of these look anything like my pix.

1. What is "Name that bug"?

"Name that bug" is a popular game where players have to identify different bugs based on their appearance or characteristics.

2. How do you play "Name that bug"?

To play "Name that bug", a player is shown an image of a bug or given a description of its appearance or behavior. The player then has to guess the name of the bug. Points are awarded for correct answers.

3. Is "Name that bug" only for children?

No, "Name that bug" can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It can be a fun and educational game for both children and adults.

4. Are there different levels in "Name that bug"?

Yes, some versions of "Name that bug" have different levels of difficulty. The bugs may become more obscure or the descriptions may become more challenging as the player progresses through the levels.

5. Can you play "Name that bug" with a group?

Yes, "Name that bug" can be played with a group of people. It can be a fun activity for families, friends, or even in a classroom setting.

Back