What forces are involved in a container trapping air in water?

• Thread starter thielen24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the external force causes a normal force to counteract the downward force, and the effect of viscosity is negligible.
thielen24
Imagine you apply an external force to an upside-down bowl shaped container, moving it into a flat surface of water and trapping air in its underside. Are there any substantial upward forces besides the buoyant force? If the impulse is high enough, is there a considerable force produced by the incompressibility of the either of the liquids?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the Fluids (?) - air - is very compressible, surely.

What I meant by "one of the fluids" was either the air or the liquid below it. Surely they are both somewhat compressible, but does the interaction between two compressible fluids cause a normal force to counter the external downward force? To me this seems like a question that would need to be modeled using many parameters (such as the viscosity of the fluids, the changing volume and thus pressure of the air, the changing surface area in contact to the air) to visualize and solve, but I may be over complicating a simple situation.

The modulus of the water is so much higher than that of air that I reckon you can ignore any compressibility of water.
In a wide bowl, even the effect of viscosity would be secondary.
I don't actually fancy doing the sums myself but I guess I could make a stab at it if I really had to, making the model as simple as possible to start with. My first approach would be to consider a cylindrical bowl (parallel sides) and see what the gas laws give you when the mass of water flows up into the space. The water will flow at a speed determined by density and pressure difference.

It's not really necessary... I was just thinking about this last night trying to go to bed. The question could have some nice mechanical engineering implications, though probably nothing that hasn't already been considered.

I think the problem boils down to a massive piston (possibly varying mass) falling into a volume of gas. Get the right equation to describe forces / pressures and masses and then get a smart brain to solve it.

1. What are the four fundamental forces of nature?

The four fundamental forces are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. What is the difference between contact and non-contact forces?

Contact forces are those that require physical contact between two objects, such as friction or normal force. Non-contact forces, on the other hand, act on objects without physical contact, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces.

3. How do forces affect the motion of an object?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. The net force acting on an object determines its overall motion according to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it.

4. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

When the net force acting on an object is zero, the forces are said to be balanced, and the object's motion remains constant. On the other hand, unbalanced forces result in a change in the object's motion, causing it to accelerate or decelerate.

5. How do we calculate the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object?

To calculate the resultant force, we must find the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force are taken into account.