Can You Guess the Scientist? Unveiling the Results of a Fair Test

In summary: Bad! I did ok with Chandrasekhar, Bose and Gould (the last was just by chance).7/12..In summary, the scientist failed a confidence test. They got 7/12 correct, with three guesses.
TheAdmin submitted a new PF Insights post

Name the Scientist
name_the_scientist.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes WWGD, Demystifier, QuantumQuest and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
At least I can say, that it's a fair test as I confirmed the hypothesis guess under total ignorance and achieve the expectation value of a binomial distributed random variable. :frown:

Likes Telemachus and Frimus
9 out of 12, not bad considering the guessing. (I still don't know many of them. Time to hit the Google.)

Likes Telemachus
DrClaude said:
9 out of 12, not bad considering the guessing. (I still don't know many of them. Time to hit the Google.)
There is a link to their wiki pages after grading.

Likes scottdave and DrClaude
I scored 10 out 12. I knew 8 and guessed on 4.

Scored 11 out of 12 (I got Katherine Johnson wrong -- I've heard of her name, thanks to the recent film Hidden Figures, but have never seen her real-life earlier photo until taking this quiz).

6 :blushing:
The only ones I knew were faraday, Kepler, and Franklin. I hit on Baltimore and Gould by having some vague idea of what sort of a person they were.

Last edited:
Ummm...
I'm bad with faces.
I'm also bad with names.
Got 8.
Yay!

(I knew 6, and got lucky on 2)
ps. Apparently my short term memory decline isn't as bad as I suspected, as I got 11/12 the second time around.:partytime:

I got 7 right. Got all the biologists, made some decent guesses based on matching garb with periods I figured they existed.

I got the only three I knew,
Faraday, Kepler, and Bose,
and somehow managed to guess incorrectly on the other nine.

I got the six I knew and missed the six I guessed, which makes me guess that I'm not a good guesser.

8 of 12, definitely not Sherlock, just sheer luck.

fresh_42 said:
At least I can say, that it's a fair test as I confirmed the hypothesis guess under total ignorance and achieve the expectation value of a binomial distributed random variable. :frown:
I failed a confidence test at , just about any confidence level, with 7 /12 , though maybe I had some subconscious knowledge helping me increase my p from 1/4 to something higher.

12 out of 12. But there were 2 stabs in the dark.

6/12. I thought I was good at recognizing faces of famous people.

8/12. I was certain about four of them, and got 50% of my guesses right. As I basically went on "(s)he looks like a <name> to me" for the ones I didn't know, that looks like a win for stereotyping. Yay?

I got 5 out of 12. Sally Ride was a sure thing=on the others I basically got 4 correct out of 11 on a multiple choice test. :) :)

I got 7 out of 12. I was mostly guessing. I only could answer 2 of them with confidence.

Likes Telemachus
I got 7 out of 12, with a lot of guessing. Katherine Johnson, David Baltimore, and Sally Ride were the only ones I was pretty sure about.

Likes scottdave
Ibix said:
8/12. I was certain about four of them, and got 50% of my guesses right. As I basically went on "(s)he looks like a <name> to me" for the ones I didn't know, that looks like a win for stereotyping. Yay?
I don't remember all of them, but several seemed to have names that could go with the apparent nationality of the person. Also, I know of at least a few which the other choices were real people. Maybe all of the choices are real scientists. So you maybe think to yourself "I think I've heard that name. Maybe it's her."

I confused Galileo with Kepler :( 3/12, so bad. I did ok with Chandrasekhar, Bose and Gould (the last was just by chance).

7/12..
Knew 5 of them..
Bose, Chandrashekhar, Katherine Johnson (thanks to Hidden Figures), Kepler and Faraday..

6/12, and all my correct answers were ones I was relatively certain about. Though I suppose that just means I scored below average on guessing on the other 6.

9 out of 12, three guesses.

Most of them were guesses, I got 6.

10/12 No joke. But three were blind guesses I got right. Haha

fresh_42 said:
3/12?

1. Who is the scientist being named?

The scientist being named is [insert name here].

2. What are some of the major contributions of this scientist?

Some of the major contributions of this scientist include [insert contributions here].

3. How did this scientist impact their field of study?

This scientist made a significant impact in their field of study by [insert impact here].

4. What inspired this scientist to pursue their chosen field of study?

This scientist was inspired to pursue their field of study by [insert inspiration here].

5. What are some lesser known facts about this scientist?

Some lesser known facts about this scientist include [insert lesser known facts here].