Identifying Bug Bites in the Great Lakes Area

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, The bites I've been getting are itchy and last a long time. I'm not sure if they're mosquito bites or chigger bites, but I'm going to go to a doctor to find out.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I live in the Great Lakes area. I've been working out in my yard for the last month tearing down my old, rotted fence and putting up a new one. I have acquired a couple of mind-numbingly itchy bites. I assumed they were just mosquito bites - the first ones of the season are usually particularly bad - but I'm not so sure. Now I'm wondering if they're chigger bites. I've been reasding up on them.

I got one on the inside of my forearm and another in the crook of my leg - both very soft spots. They are very itchy, and last a long time (a week or two) and the swelling is broad and flat (~1/2" across) but no blisters.

We do have lots of little "red spider mites" on my property, but I'm not sure if these are harvest mites or not. They are bright red, about .5mm across and run around all over everything very fast. They sure look a lot like harvest mites from pictures, I'm just not sure they're the same thing. If I understand correctly, it's not the adults but the larvae that do the biting, and they're microscopic in size.

Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
did you visit Evo?

Chiggers seems about right to me on the basis of what you've said. I recall they used to exactly settle there and were not at all shy about getting even more intimate. And they itched like crazy.

My dad used to give me little yellow sulfur pills as he said the chiggers ingest the sulfur from your blood and remove themselves and their irritating infection. While he was a pediatrician and all, I would be loathe to suggest that as a treatment today without further research and proper professional advice. That was some time ago and I suspect medicine may have made advances in knowing more about the varmits and remedies.

Good luck with it though.

No-see-ums come to my mind

LowlyPion said:
My dad used to give me little yellow sulfur pills as he said the chiggers ingest the sulfur from your blood and remove themselves and their irritating infection.
It appears one of the big myths about chiggers is that they drink blood. They do not.

"The larval mites feed on the skin cells, but not blood, of animals, including humans."

hypatia said:
No-see-ums come to my mind
Yes, though their bites IME, are more akin to mosquito bites; itchy but small. And I would have thought I'd get dozens, not two.

I dunno, the bite I got from No-see-ums were about the size of a quarter, and I only got 3 of them. They not only itched, but hurt as well, and lasted a very long time.
I tend to be allergic to most bites, so lol I can't compare anyones bites to mine.

if you were tearing down an old rotten fence (wooden fence posts)--it could be wood nesting ant bites too--

rewebster said:
if you were tearing down an old rotten fence (wooden fence posts)--it could be wood nesting ant bits too--
Haven't seen any ants around (except the usual yearly carpenter ants). Also, I'd expect to get ant bites more like around my ankles, not the soft area in the crook of my knee or arm.

I've been bitten by carpenter ants--it just depends on where they 'land' on you

rewebster said:
did you visit Evo?

:rofl: I thought it was Evo's old thread resurfacing when I saw the title.

If you were working in the cool of early evening, I would vote for no-see-ums. They are particularly bad just around sunset. You don't notice the actual bites, just the burn and itch. They are very small flies and they probably have to inject some blood thinner and anti-coagulant before they can harvest your blood.

Here it is. More than you may want to know about chiggers.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/ [Broken]

I think I just figured out that my Dad was likely giving me a placebo by giving me the sulfur pills, maybe to relieve his symptoms of being irritated by my being bit and complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
LowlyPion said:
I think I just figured out that my Dad was likely giving me a placebo by giving me the sulfur pills, maybe to relieve his symptoms of being irritated by my being bit and complaining.

:rofl:

Might be a cedar gnat. But you live a long ways from me in New Mexico, so it's probably something different.

binzing said:
Might be a cedar gnat. But you live a long ways from me in New Mexico, so it's probably something different.
Interesting that you mention that. My new fence is cedar. I've spent the last three weeks in constant contact with about 2 tonnes of cedar.

Chigger bites last about a day or two, then take about a week to heal.

No-see-ums come to mind as do horse flies, but if you got bit by a horse fly, you'd know it and they usually take a chunk of skin with them.

Cedar gnats are a definite possibility.

DaveC426913 said:
Interesting that you mention that. My new fence is cedar. I've spent the last three weeks in constant contact with about 2 tonnes of cedar.

Ironic, but as far as I know, there is no major connection. Cedar gnats are TINY, and they're bites will become large and dark, and itch insanely...

1. How can I tell if a bug bite is from a mosquito or a tick?

Mosquito bites are typically small, raised bumps that are itchy and may have a red or pink center. They often occur in clusters and can appear on any exposed skin. In contrast, tick bites are usually larger, red, and may have a dark spot in the center. They are often found in areas with thicker skin, such as the scalp, behind the ears, or in the groin area. Additionally, tick bites may cause a bullseye-shaped rash, which can be a sign of Lyme disease.

2. Are there any specific bugs in the Great Lakes area that I should be aware of?

Yes, there are several bugs in the Great Lakes area that can cause bites. Mosquitoes, ticks, black flies, horse flies, and deer flies are all common in this region. Each of these bugs can cause different reactions and may carry diseases, so it is important to take precautions and identify bites properly.

3. How can I identify if a bug bite is infected?

If you notice that a bug bite is becoming more swollen, red, and painful over time, it may be infected. Other signs of infection include pus or drainage from the bite site, fever, and chills. If you suspect your bug bite is infected, it is best to seek medical attention to prevent further complications.

4. What should I do if I have an allergic reaction to a bug bite?

If you have a severe allergic reaction to a bug bite, such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face or throat, seek immediate medical attention. If you have a mild allergic reaction, you can try using over-the-counter antihistamines or topical creams to relieve symptoms. If symptoms persist or worsen, consult a healthcare professional.

5. Can bug bites in the Great Lakes area be prevented?

While it is impossible to completely prevent bug bites, there are some steps you can take to minimize your risk. Use insect repellent when spending time outdoors, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants, and avoid areas with standing water where mosquitoes may breed. It is also important to regularly check for ticks after spending time in wooded or grassy areas and remove them promptly if found.