Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name this device

  1. Sep 3, 2012 #1

    This device was in a documentary on Discovery last year. At least that I can recall.
    Does it have a name?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    The idea seems very much like a pantograph such as here:
    http://www.acmetools.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10101&productId=3074457345616770525&itemId=3074457345616770533&cm_mmc_o=2BF5zyblBE*mbfwl*mbETkwdwwp*PbET [Broken]
    but the illustration with the differential gearbox is of a much more sophisticated device, which probably has a distinct name.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much yes, that exactly what it is.
    There is no differential gearbox. I misunderstood the whole device and its principle of operation. :D

    Thanks again.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 9, 2012 #4
    This is a jeweller's engraving machine
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook