Name two things that signifify a trip around the sun

In summary, my Professor posed a riddle in class today and said "Question: Name two things that signify a trip around the sun." There are two things that signify a trip around the sun--one is the passage of an equinox or solstice, and the other is what stars are overhead at midnight.
pattiecake
My Professor posed a riddle in class today. He said "Question: Name two things that signify a trip around the sun".

I not very good at riddles, but I know that Earth travels around the sun once a year. Thus the changing of seasons could be argued as signifiers (earth rotates on it's axis as it revolves). Any other thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There's probably many:

You're 1 year older
You've got to pay taxes again
Trees have another ring around them

Of course you don't have to be on Earth to have a trip around the Sun. On any planet, the Sun is in the same constellation as it was exactly 1 trip ago.

How about the red shift of light is the same as to one measured some time ago (well a year). This would be true as the Earth's orbit is not circular around the Sun.

The Bob (2004 ©)

pattiecake said:
My Professor posed a riddle in class today. He said "Question: Name two things that signify a trip around the sun".

maybe he means two WORDS signifying a trip around the sun.

two words that both mean a trip around the sun are

YEAR

and

ORBIT

the orbit is the path in space that goes around the sun, it is usually oval shape.
the year is the time that the trip takes, to go along the orbit.

pattiecake said:

now maybe he does not want two words, maybe he wants two SIGNS that a full orbit has been accomplished and that exactly one year has elapsed.

1. One sign is the passage of an equinox or solstice. Like start counting on the Summer Solstice---the longest daylight day of the year---and wait till it comes round again.

You can tell the Summer Solstice by marking where the sun sets. stand in a certain spot and find out the farthest north it sets. say the farthest north it sets is on the point of some mountain. so remember that and wait until it happens again and sets right on that mountain... that's one year

2. Another sign is what stars are overhead at midnight.

Like, go out at midnight tonite and see what constellation is on the meridian (the northsouth line right overhead) and remember that constellation.

then when you begin to robins next year remember to go out at midnight again and see if that same constellation is on the meridian. if it is, then that is a year.

those are SIGNS of a full trip. the WORDS for a full trip are, like I said in the previous post, "orbit" and "year"

Ok, he said time (a year) is one thing.

The other thing or concept is something we all have inside of us...Any further ideas?

pattiecake said:
Ok, he said time (a year) is one thing.

The other thing or concept is something we all have inside of us...Any further ideas?

if it doesn't cost you any points to guess wrong, and you don't mind just guessing, try "energy"

I don't know why that occurs to me.

there is no accounting for how some people think

more importantly patticake, are you having fun?
is astronomy a fun class?
are you having at all a good time at this PF message board, I hope so

I suggested that, if it doesn't hurt to guess, you try "energy" as a way of distinguishing a particular orbit around the sun
the reason is that what he means by "signify" could be MEASURE.

like he says that one answer is TIME, right
well for me time does not 'signify' a full orbit, time is a way of measuring and orbit-----and the Earth's orbit measures one year (of time)

so how else would you measure or quantify an orbit?
well you could designate the orbit by saying its radius. like that it is is 93 million miles out from sun-----or 150 million kilometers.

but distance is not in each one of us body (hhmmmm or is it?)

how else could you quantify or measure or designate a particular orbit?

well you could say the Earth orbit is rougly circular with roughly a SPEED of 30 kilometers a second. that would distinguish it from Mars orbit which is slower, or Jupiter orbit whcih is even slower

but speed is not in everyones body (hmmmm or is it?)

so how else could you measure or designate some particular orbit around the sun?

Last edited:
pattiecake said:

I not very good at riddles, but I know that Earth travels around the sun once a year. Thus the changing of seasons could be argued as signifiers (earth rotates on it's axis as it revolves). Any other thoughts?

1. Stellar parallax.

2. The apparent motion of the sun through the constellations every 12 months.
:biggrin:
Creator

--Judges and politicians are like baby diapers... both need to be changed often...and for the same reason!--

Last edited:
Birthdays!

1. What is a trip around the sun?

A trip around the sun refers to the orbit of a planet or object around the sun. It takes one year for Earth to make a complete trip around the sun.

2. Why is a trip around the sun significant?

A trip around the sun is significant because it determines the length of a year and is essential for the changing of seasons on Earth. It also affects the gravitational pull on the planet and the tilt of its axis.

3. How is a trip around the sun measured?

A trip around the sun is measured in Earth days, with one trip around the sun equaling 365.24 days. This is called a solar year and is used as the basis for our calendar system.

4. What other objects take a trip around the sun?

All planets in our solar system take a trip around the sun, as well as comets, asteroids, and other smaller objects. The time it takes for these objects to complete a trip around the sun varies depending on their distance from the sun.

5. How does a trip around the sun affect the temperature on Earth?

The trip around the sun affects the amount of sunlight and heat that reaches Earth. When Earth is closer to the sun during its trip, it receives more sunlight, resulting in warmer temperatures. When it is farther away, the temperatures are cooler. This, along with the tilt of Earth's axis, causes the changing of seasons.