Who is your favorite physicist and why?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: He was a genius, but also a madman.In summary, Feynman is a genious who is also a likable person. He is most famous for his work on quantum electrodynamics, but he has made other significant contributions to physics. He is acclaimed for his humanitarian work, but some of his scientific discoveries have been controversial. He is also famous for his flamboyant personality.
Benzoate
I don't think there been a thread on a use'sr favorite physicist , so I decided to create one.

For me , Richard feynman because he tried to help both graduate student and the lay public under QED and any other topic on physics. And to me , he comes across as a regular guy you would play poker with instead of a supergenius. I'm not going to doubt that he wasn't a smart man . I'm only saying that did not come across as intimidating to other to laymen and had the a'priori notion that anyone can learn and understand physics. He also , in a subtle manner, criticize academic elitism ; he pointed out that he didn't like clubs or organizations that existed primary for people to talk about how smart they were or how high their IQ was.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger all the way!

"Favorite"= Feynman. Everybody loves Feynman.

Humanino :!)

Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth, of course.

if not then the ancient Greeks who started studying these things in a more logical manner. ... their assumptions were wrong for the most part, but you got to hand it to them.

Eratosthenes for ingenuity.
Robert Hooke for discoveries.
Richard Feynman for cuddliness.

moe darklight said:
Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth, of course.

>.< lol.

Janna Levin

http://www.jannalevin.com/bio.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Archimedes

Math Jeans said:
>.< lol.

"Doomsday device! Ahh the balls in Farnsworth's court now."

Assortment of doomsday devices appear.

"I suppose I could part with one of these and still be feared."

Best episode ever! >.<

tacosareveryyum said:
"Doomsday device! Ahh the balls in Farnsworth's court now."

Assortment of doomsday devices appear.

"I suppose I could part with one of these and still be feared."

Best episode ever! >.<

He he. I remember that one. The basketball bit was funny.

Benzoate said:
I don't think there been a thread on a use'sr favorite physicist ,

Not in the past 6 months, maybe.

Still, Maxwell for me!

There are so many great physicists that it is too hard to choose which one is the best. So I asked my mother to help me out. Modesty prevents me from divulging the answer.

jimmysnyder said:
There are so many great physicists that it is too hard to choose which one is the best. So I asked my mother to help me out. Modesty prevents me from divulging the answer.

:rofl:

Fermi no doubt.

clearly Newton

Feynman was committed to academic integrity like very few others.

proton said:
clearly Newton

indeed

'standing on the shoulders of giants' youll find on 2£ coins was a dig at Hooke.
bit of character, though all boffins seem to be highly eccentric

That would be Madame Marie Curie.

newton5.jpg

Since everyone avoided making the generic, trendy answer:

Enstein.

Mostly because he was a humanitarian, but also because of his unique contributions to science.

Feynman because his love of physics is so contagious

I suppose I'd pick Max Born... but mostly because I have a biography about him.

I asked my wife :approve:

She said Feynman:cry:

No one else favors Schrodinger?

Fine. Be that way.

Heisenberg =] He had cool german style (who cares if he helped the Germans with the bomb?) and he was a genius. I remember reading in his biography or (autobiography, i forget which ones which, the one that someone else wrote on him), and one of the things that amazed me most was that on hiking trips with his brother, they would play chess, in their heads! Imagine that, "Queen to B9, ha I took your bishop!". His Uncertainty principle is one of the most, if not the most, controversial principals of physics, considered unintuitive for many and even more so its consequences. And everyone loves going home after a long day and doing some matrix mechanics don't they =]? I know what your thinking Math Jeans, Schrodinger's Wave Mechanics is the same thing, and more intuitive, but that's never been Heisenbergs style =]

Math Jeans said:

Fine. Be that way.

I think most people can't get past his blithe position on animal cruelty. Evidently, scientific testing on animals didn't matter one way or the other to him.

Has to be Sylvia Brown from the Physics Friends Network. Wayne Newton's not bad either. And there's Pam "Big Mac Attack" Dirac.

Dead, Einstein easily. Alive, probably Michio Kaku, mostly because he sparked my interest in science.

Math Jeans said:

Fine. Be that way.

I do. He was handsome as well and a polymath that knew six languages; apart from being a great scientist he was a man of culture as well. His book on Greek philosophers is one of the best I have read.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Cab Calloway for his work in acoustics:

For every heighdy-heighdy-hi, there is an equal and opposite heighdy-heighdy-ho.

For me it's the physicist, engineer, inventor, visionary and showman... Nikola Tesla.

Pythagorean said:
Since everyone avoided making the generic, trendy answer:

Enstein.

Mostly because he was a humanitarian, but also because of his unique contributions to science.
Ok yes he had great scientific contributions. He was also a self centered jerk. Abandoned one child completely, neglected the rest of his family. Read Isaacson. Screw Einstein.

Math Jeans said:
Schrodinger all the way!

the English spelling is Schroedinger. The 'oe' replaces the 'o' with the umlaut.

animalcroc said:
the English spelling is Schroedinger. The 'oe' replaces the 'o' with the umlaut.

Which is hideous and should be banned because the guys name is Schrödinger. Its not too difficult.

<h2>1. Who is your favorite physicist?</h2><p>My favorite physicist is Albert Einstein.</p><h2>2. Why is Albert Einstein your favorite physicist?</h2><p>I admire Albert Einstein for his groundbreaking work in the field of theoretical physics, specifically his theory of relativity. He was able to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and his contributions continue to impact scientific research today.</p><h2>3. What makes Albert Einstein stand out among other physicists?</h2><p>Albert Einstein's ability to think outside of the box and challenge traditional scientific beliefs is what sets him apart from other physicists. He was not afraid to question established theories and his innovative ideas have greatly influenced modern physics.</p><h2>4. How has Albert Einstein influenced your own work as a scientist?</h2><p>As a scientist, I am constantly inspired by Albert Einstein's curiosity and determination to understand the mysteries of the universe. His approach to problem-solving and his emphasis on imagination and creativity have greatly influenced my own work and way of thinking.</p><h2>5. Can you recommend any resources for learning more about Albert Einstein and his work?</h2><p>There are many great resources available for learning more about Albert Einstein and his contributions to physics. Some of my favorites include the book "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson and the documentary "Einstein's Big Idea" by PBS. Additionally, there are numerous online articles and videos that provide insights into his life and work.</p>

1. Who is your favorite physicist?

My favorite physicist is Albert Einstein.

2. Why is Albert Einstein your favorite physicist?

I admire Albert Einstein for his groundbreaking work in the field of theoretical physics, specifically his theory of relativity. He was able to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and his contributions continue to impact scientific research today.

3. What makes Albert Einstein stand out among other physicists?

Albert Einstein's ability to think outside of the box and challenge traditional scientific beliefs is what sets him apart from other physicists. He was not afraid to question established theories and his innovative ideas have greatly influenced modern physics.

4. How has Albert Einstein influenced your own work as a scientist?

As a scientist, I am constantly inspired by Albert Einstein's curiosity and determination to understand the mysteries of the universe. His approach to problem-solving and his emphasis on imagination and creativity have greatly influenced my own work and way of thinking.

5. Can you recommend any resources for learning more about Albert Einstein and his work?

There are many great resources available for learning more about Albert Einstein and his contributions to physics. Some of my favorites include the book "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson and the documentary "Einstein's Big Idea" by PBS. Additionally, there are numerous online articles and videos that provide insights into his life and work.