Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name your intellectual pleasure.

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    Name your intellectual pleasure. Ex. at the moment I am listening to Zimerman play Schubert.

Name yours! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

I'm currently reading Poetics, by Aristotle.

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    I'm soon drawn back to The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn R. Saks. It's her autobiography including her experience at Yale Law and Oxford, living with schizophrenia yet becoming a Law Dean at USC.

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4
    Ah, the all too frequently unrewarding search for a decent conversation on PF!

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    Intellectual pleasure? Ummm.. chess, go, scrabble, cryptograms, ect
    Am I doing it right?

7. Aug 11, 2011 #6
    Jersey Shore.

Just kidding, I buy audio lectures on different topics. Right now I'm listening to the story of human language.

8. Aug 11, 2011 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

9. Aug 11, 2011 #8
    By McWhorter?

10. Aug 11, 2011 #9

SixNein

Gold Member

I'm currently reading "Flatland, A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abbott.

Flatland kind of reminds me of politics. I'm a cube trying to explain a different world to a flatlander.

11. Aug 11, 2011 #10
    I make my own boardgames. I try to apply the most artistic approach to the design of play above all else, which makes for some unusual and fascinating games.

12. Aug 11, 2011 #11

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Or vice versa! The whole point is that you don't know what your reference is! Maybe you're a cube trying to explain politics to a hypercube. You'll get that same baffled look either way.

Anyway, my intellectual pleasure is music composition. Sometimes I sit in front of FL Studio and just write for hours.

13. Aug 11, 2011 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I listen to the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 at 00:48 every morning.

14. Aug 11, 2011 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love ancient history.

15. Aug 11, 2011 #14

FlexGunship

Gold Member

OMG!! ME TOOO!! I loooove the History Channel.

51ghG%2BGEFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51jOyTq0mlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 51hHsxFFcDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

16. Aug 11, 2011 #15

Evo

:frown:

17. Aug 11, 2011 #16
    Used to be listening to the unintentional comedy spewed by radio moscow back in the 1980s but now it's maybe listening to Bear McReary soundtracks and listening to the airport and the dyno of a nearby speed shop where I work.......when I'm not there working.

I watch this once a day which lets me ponder both music and amazing intellectual creativity.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Aug 11, 2011 #17

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Aww, Evo! I feel awful, now... Well, in the spirit of ancient cultures, you can invoke Hammurabi's Lex Talionis.

I love the Apollo space program and collect memorabilia, books, documentaries, and autographs. You can dishonor that in the same way that the History Channel has dishonored your ancient history. Or maybe something about the ISS or Space Shuttle? Have at it!

[PLAIN]http://theaffordablewebhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/funny-pictures-cat-trains-to-go-into-outer-space.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  19. Aug 11, 2011 #18

Evo

Oh nooo.... It's Vampire Day on the History Channel.

(Love the kitty)

20. Aug 11, 2011 #19

FlexGunship

Gold Member

(I know... I picked it just for you. :blushing:)

21. Aug 11, 2011 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Admit it; you love this stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook