Name your intellectual pleasure.

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
Name your intellectual pleasure. Ex. at the moment I am listening to Zimerman play Schubert.

Name yours! :smile:

Answers and Replies

Dembadon
Gold Member
I'm currently reading Poetics, by Aristotle.

I'm soon drawn back to The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn R. Saks. It's her autobiography including her experience at Yale Law and Oxford, living with schizophrenia yet becoming a Law Dean at USC.

Ah, the all too frequently unrewarding search for a decent conversation on PF!

Intellectual pleasure? Ummm.. chess, go, scrabble, cryptograms, ect
Am I doing it right?

Jersey Shore.

Just kidding, I buy audio lectures on different topics. Right now I'm listening to the story of human language.

Jersey Shore.

Just kidding, I buy audio lectures on different topics. Right now I'm listening to the story of human language.
By McWhorter?

SixNein
Gold Member
Name your intellectual pleasure. Ex. at the moment I am listening to Zimerman play Schubert.

Name yours! :smile:
I'm currently reading "Flatland, A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abbott.

Flatland kind of reminds me of politics. I'm a cube trying to explain a different world to a flatlander.

I make my own boardgames. I try to apply the most artistic approach to the design of play above all else, which makes for some unusual and fascinating games.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Flatland kind of reminds me of politics. I'm a cube trying to explain a different world to a flatlander.
Or vice versa! The whole point is that you don't know what your reference is! Maybe you're a cube trying to explain politics to a hypercube. You'll get that same baffled look either way.

Anyway, my intellectual pleasure is music composition. Sometimes I sit in front of FL Studio and just write for hours.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I listen to the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 at 00:48 every morning.

Evo
Mentor
I love ancient history.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
I love ancient history.
OMG!! ME TOOO!! I loooove the History Channel.

51ghG%2BGEFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51jOyTq0mlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51hHsxFFcDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Evo
Mentor
Used to be listening to the unintentional comedy spewed by radio moscow back in the 1980s but now it's maybe listening to Bear McReary soundtracks and listening to the airport and the dyno of a nearby speed shop where I work.......when I'm not there working.

I watch this once a day which lets me ponder both music and amazing intellectual creativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
FlexGunship
Gold Member
:frown:
Aww, Evo! I feel awful, now... Well, in the spirit of ancient cultures, you can invoke Hammurabi's Lex Talionis.

I love the Apollo space program and collect memorabilia, books, documentaries, and autographs. You can dishonor that in the same way that the History Channel has dishonored your ancient history. Or maybe something about the ISS or Space Shuttle? Have at it!

[PLAIN]http://theaffordablewebhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/funny-pictures-cat-trains-to-go-into-outer-space.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor
Oh nooo.... It's Vampire Day on the History Channel.

(Love the kitty)

FlexGunship
Gold Member
(Love the kitty)
(I know... I picked it just for you. :blushing:)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OMG!! ME TOOO!! I loooove the History Channel.

51ghG%2BGEFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51jOyTq0mlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51hHsxFFcDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Admit it; you love this stuff.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I use all of my intellectual energy for work these days. But since I now get paid to do what used to be play, work is pleasure.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Admit it; you love this stuff.
Personally, my guilty pleasure are the ghost shows. I like that guy, Zak, that suffers from steroid-induced brain-rot on Ghost Adventures. And, of course, Ghost Hunters with Jay and Grant! But, yes, I can say I've watched almost every episode of that Garbage (capital "G") on the History Channel.

You can't have a strong opinion about the validity of the evidence if you're not well versed in it. I also own nine or ten versions of the Bible and a few copies of the Koran for similar reasons.

I use all of my intellectual energy for work these days. But since I now get paid to do what used to be play, work is pleasure.
You get paid to poke fun at twenty-somethings on this forum now?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Personally, my guilty pleasure are the ghost shows. I like that guy, Zak, that suffers from steroid-induced brain-rot on Ghost Adventures. And, of course, Ghost Hunters with Jay and Grant! But, yes, I can say I've watched almost every episode of that Garbage (capital "G") on the History Channel.

You can't have a strong opinion about the validity of the evidence if you're not well versed in it. I also own nine or ten versions of the Bible and a few copies of the Koran for similar reasons.
Aliens, UFOs, ghosts, ESP, all that stuff - I feel much the same way but also enjoy the rare, legitimate mystery. I watch more for the 1:10000 rather than the other 9999. But I can only take so much before my head explodes. The biggest problem is that for every interesting new story or mystery, there are fifty new shows. So they all tend to go for the ridiculist to fill time.

Jay and Grant and their fast and loose "theories" kill me.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You get paid to poke fun at twenty-somethings on this forum now?
No, that's my civic duty.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Jay and Grant and their fast and loose "theories" kill me.
I remember the episode where they invented the idea of a "residual haunt" as opposed to an "active haunt." They even went so far as to say the phrase: "we have this theory that..."

Then, about a season later they said: "it's a common theory among paranormal investigators that there are basically two types of hauntings: the residual and the active."