Name your intellectual pleasure.

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
In summary: I mean "amuse" me. I also like the Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel.In summary, my intellectual pleasure is listening to ghost shows, watching the History Channel, and pondering the mysteries of the world.
Willowz
Name your intellectual pleasure. Ex. at the moment I am listening to Zimerman play Schubert.

Name yours! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm currently reading Poetics, by Aristotle.

I'm soon drawn back to The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn R. Saks. It's her autobiography including her experience at Yale Law and Oxford, living with schizophrenia yet becoming a Law Dean at USC.

Ah, the all too frequently unrewarding search for a decent conversation on PF!

Intellectual pleasure? Ummm.. chess, go, scrabble, cryptograms, ect
Am I doing it right?

Jersey Shore.

Just kidding, I buy audio lectures on different topics. Right now I'm listening to the story of human language.

KingNothing said:
Jersey Shore.

Just kidding, I buy audio lectures on different topics. Right now I'm listening to the story of human language.
By McWhorter?

Willowz said:
Name your intellectual pleasure. Ex. at the moment I am listening to Zimerman play Schubert.

Name yours! :smile:

I'm currently reading "Flatland, A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abbott.

Flatland kind of reminds me of politics. I'm a cube trying to explain a different world to a flatlander.

I make my own boardgames. I try to apply the most artistic approach to the design of play above all else, which makes for some unusual and fascinating games.

SixNein said:
Flatland kind of reminds me of politics. I'm a cube trying to explain a different world to a flatlander.

Or vice versa! The whole point is that you don't know what your reference is! Maybe you're a cube trying to explain politics to a hypercube. You'll get that same baffled look either way.

Anyway, my intellectual pleasure is music composition. Sometimes I sit in front of FL Studio and just write for hours.

I listen to the Shipping Forecast on Radio 4 at 00:48 every morning.

I love ancient history.

Evo said:
I love ancient history.

OMG! ME TOOO! I loooove the History Channel.

51ghG%2BGEFRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51jOyTq0mlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51hHsxFFcDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

FlexGunship said:

:frown:

Used to be listening to the unintentional comedy spewed by radio moscow back in the 1980s but now it's maybe listening to Bear McReary soundtracks and listening to the airport and the dyno of a nearby speed shop where I work...when I'm not there working.

I watch this once a day which let's me ponder both music and amazing intellectual creativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
:frown:

Aww, Evo! I feel awful, now... Well, in the spirit of ancient cultures, you can invoke Hammurabi's Lex Talionis.

I love the Apollo space program and collect memorabilia, books, documentaries, and autographs. You can dishonor that in the same way that the History Channel has dishonored your ancient history. Or maybe something about the ISS or Space Shuttle? Have at it!

[PLAIN]http://theaffordablewebhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/funny-pictures-cat-trains-to-go-into-outer-space.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nooo... It's Vampire Day on the History Channel.

(Love the kitty)

Evo said:
(Love the kitty)

(I know... I picked it just for you. :blushing:)

FlexGunship said:

Admit it; you love this stuff.

I use all of my intellectual energy for work these days. But since I now get paid to do what used to be play, work is pleasure.

Ivan Seeking said:
Admit it; you love this stuff.

Personally, my guilty pleasure are the ghost shows. I like that guy, Zak, that suffers from steroid-induced brain-rot on Ghost Adventures. And, of course, Ghost Hunters with Jay and Grant! But, yes, I can say I've watched almost every episode of that Garbage (capital "G") on the History Channel.

You can't have a strong opinion about the validity of the evidence if you're not well versed in it. I also own nine or ten versions of the Bible and a few copies of the Koran for similar reasons.

Ivan Seeking said:
I use all of my intellectual energy for work these days. But since I now get paid to do what used to be play, work is pleasure.

You get paid to poke fun at twenty-somethings on this forum now?

FlexGunship said:
Personally, my guilty pleasure are the ghost shows. I like that guy, Zak, that suffers from steroid-induced brain-rot on Ghost Adventures. And, of course, Ghost Hunters with Jay and Grant! But, yes, I can say I've watched almost every episode of that Garbage (capital "G") on the History Channel.

You can't have a strong opinion about the validity of the evidence if you're not well versed in it. I also own nine or ten versions of the Bible and a few copies of the Koran for similar reasons.

Aliens, UFOs, ghosts, ESP, all that stuff - I feel much the same way but also enjoy the rare, legitimate mystery. I watch more for the 1:10000 rather than the other 9999. But I can only take so much before my head explodes. The biggest problem is that for every interesting new story or mystery, there are fifty new shows. So they all tend to go for the ridiculist to fill time.

Jay and Grant and their fast and loose "theories" kill me.

FlexGunship said:
You get paid to poke fun at twenty-somethings on this forum now?

No, that's my civic duty.

Ivan Seeking said:
Jay and Grant and their fast and loose "theories" kill me.

I remember the episode where they invented the idea of a "residual haunt" as opposed to an "active haunt." They even went so far as to say the phrase: "we have this theory that..."

Then, about a season later they said: "it's a common theory among paranormal investigators that there are basically two types of hauntings: the residual and the active."

FlexGunship said:
I remember the episode where they invented the idea of a "residual haunt" as opposed to an "active haunt." They even went so far as to say the phrase: "we have this theory that..."

Then, about a season later they said: "it's a common theory among paranormal investigators that there are basically two types of hauntings: the residual and the active."

The thing is, while they do legitimately debunk a lot of stuff, the debunkings are often just as much hooey as their theories. For example, all of the stuff about EM and how it affects people - you weren't being watched by a ghost, you were just too close to the space heater elements and they were affecting your mind! :rofl:

I would like to name my intellectual pleasure Basil. Or perhaps Herbert. Something old-fashioned, makes you look intelligent.

qspeechc said:
I would like to name my intellectual pleasure Basil. Or perhaps Herbert. Something old-fashioned, makes you look intelligent.
Ahahahaha! Smithers.

Keanu Reeves :shy:

FlexGunship said:

It is an idea that has been around for at least twenty years.

I like studying road maps, railroad timetables etc., and plotting out itineraries for road and rail trips. With Google Maps, for example, I start with the recommended route, play around with it, and end up with a new route that avoids most of the Interstates (motorways for you non-US people), which is the way my wife and I usually prefer to travel.

Similarly, with rail travel in, say, Germany, I study the network map and online timetables, and often look for slower but more scenic routes in preference to the faster ones.

Sometimes I start poking around on

http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas/kbview.exe/dn?rt=1&mainframe=IK_strecken

before going to bed, and before I know it, it's 2:00 AM. :blushing:

jtbell said:
I like studying road maps, railroad timetables etc., and plotting out itineraries for road and rail trips. With Google Maps, for example, I start with the recommended route, play around with it, and end up with a new route that avoids most of the Interstates (motorways for you non-US people), which is the way my wife and I usually prefer to travel.

Similarly, with rail travel in, say, Germany, I study the network map and online timetables, and often look for slower but more scenic routes in preference to the faster ones.

Sometimes I start poking around on

http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas/kbview.exe/dn?rt=1&mainframe=IK_strecken

before going to bed, and before I know it, it's 2:00 AM. :blushing:

Ah yes, the anti-salesman problem. :biggrin:

Oh geez, it really is vampire day on History channel...

I don't know if it counts as an "intellectual pleasure", but I like to learn languages in my spare time. I am fluent in English, German, and so far intermediate in Spanish. I plan to tackle Mandarin next year or so when I am satisfied with my Spanish.

QuarkCharmer said:
I don't know if it counts as an "intellectual pleasure", but I like to learn languages in my spare time. I am fluent in English, German, and so far intermediate in Spanish. I plan to tackle Mandarin next year or so when I am satisfied with my Spanish.
That's a great pleasure! Wish learning more languages for more of a pleasure.

1. What is an intellectual pleasure?

An intellectual pleasure is any activity or pursuit that stimulates the mind and provides a sense of satisfaction or enjoyment. It can include reading, solving puzzles, engaging in intellectual discussions, or learning new skills.

2. Why is it important to have intellectual pleasures?

Having intellectual pleasures is important because it helps to keep our minds active and engaged. It can also improve cognitive function, memory, and overall well-being. Additionally, engaging in intellectual activities can broaden our knowledge and understanding of the world.

3. How can I find my intellectual pleasure?

Finding your intellectual pleasure may involve trying out different activities and seeing which ones you enjoy the most. It can also be helpful to reflect on your interests and strengths to determine what activities may be intellectually stimulating for you. Additionally, seeking out new experiences and challenges can lead to the discovery of new intellectual pleasures.

4. Can intellectual pleasures be beneficial for my career?

Yes, engaging in intellectual pleasures can have numerous benefits for your career. It can improve critical thinking skills, creativity, and problem-solving abilities, which are all valuable in many professions. Additionally, having a diverse range of intellectual interests can make you a well-rounded and interesting candidate for job opportunities.

5. How can I incorporate intellectual pleasures into my daily life?

Incorporating intellectual pleasures into your daily life can be as simple as setting aside a specific time each day for reading, solving puzzles, or engaging in other intellectually stimulating activities. It can also be helpful to find a community or group of individuals who share similar intellectual interests, as this can provide motivation and accountability. Additionally, finding ways to incorporate intellectual pursuits into your work or hobbies can also be beneficial.