Name your intellectual pleasure.

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I remember the episode where they invented the idea of a "residual haunt" as opposed to an "active haunt." They even went so far as to say the phrase: "we have this theory that..."

Then, about a season later they said: "it's a common theory among paranormal investigators that there are basically two types of hauntings: the residual and the active."
The thing is, while they do legitimately debunk a lot of stuff, the debunkings are often just as much hooey as their theories. For example, all of the stuff about EM and how it affects people - you weren't being watched by a ghost, you were just too close to the space heater elements and they were affecting your mind! :rofl:

I would like to name my intellectual pleasure Basil. Or perhaps Herbert. Something old-fashioned, makes you look intelligent.

Evo
Mentor
I would like to name my intellectual pleasure Basil. Or perhaps Herbert. Something old-fashioned, makes you look intelligent.
Ahahahaha! Smithers.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Keanu Reeves :shy:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I remember the episode where they invented the idea of a "residual haunt" as opposed to an "active haunt." They even went so far as to say the phrase: "we have this theory that..."

Then, about a season later they said: "it's a common theory among paranormal investigators that there are basically two types of hauntings: the residual and the active."
It is an idea that has been around for at least twenty years.

jtbell
Mentor
I like studying road maps, railroad timetables etc., and plotting out itineraries for road and rail trips. With Google Maps, for example, I start with the recommended route, play around with it, and end up with a new route that avoids most of the Interstates (motorways for you non-US people), which is the way my wife and I usually prefer to travel.

Similarly, with rail travel in, say, Germany, I study the network map and online timetables, and often look for slower but more scenic routes in preference to the faster ones.

Sometimes I start poking around on

http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas/kbview.exe/dn?rt=1&mainframe=IK_strecken

before going to bed, and before I know it, it's 2:00 AM. :blushing:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I like studying road maps, railroad timetables etc., and plotting out itineraries for road and rail trips. With Google Maps, for example, I start with the recommended route, play around with it, and end up with a new route that avoids most of the Interstates (motorways for you non-US people), which is the way my wife and I usually prefer to travel.

Similarly, with rail travel in, say, Germany, I study the network map and online timetables, and often look for slower but more scenic routes in preference to the faster ones.

Sometimes I start poking around on

http://kursbuch.bahn.de/hafas/kbview.exe/dn?rt=1&mainframe=IK_strecken

before going to bed, and before I know it, it's 2:00 AM. :blushing:
Ah yes, the anti-salesman problem. :biggrin:

Oh geez, it really is vampire day on History channel...

I don't know if it counts as an "intellectual pleasure", but I like to learn languages in my spare time. I am fluent in English, German, and so far intermediate in Spanish. I plan to tackle Mandarin next year or so when I am satisfied with my Spanish.

I don't know if it counts as an "intellectual pleasure", but I like to learn languages in my spare time. I am fluent in English, German, and so far intermediate in Spanish. I plan to tackle Mandarin next year or so when I am satisfied with my Spanish.
That's a great pleasure! Wish learning more languages for more of a pleasure.