Nameless white mooselet seeks desperately after dead mum

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, a mooselet has been discovered, and every day it returns to the spot where its mother was killed by a reckless car driver. The calf is currently being kept alive by volunteers, but plans are being made to take it in and care for it through the winter.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
We are in the midst of a major moose event here in Norway;
a tiny, white mooselet has been discovered, who is all alone after his mum was killed by a reckless car driver at Trysil.
He (or she) is, every day, returning to the spot where his mum died, seeking her warmth and sagacity.
Hopefully, he will manage on his own through the winter, but we are in the midst of a name election campaign, which is the least we can do for him:
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10078588

Physics news on Phys.org
Poor baby mooselet! So sad. It's the cutest thing! :!) Are they feeding the mooselet?

I think it should be named after Albin.

Calf, perhaps?

Too cute!
How about Cutelet? Or is that that too close to cutlet?

I picked Hvittney Houston as it seems so completely wrong.

Crisis? I love veal! White meat anyone? I suggest feeding it lots of corn and maybe a little beer for the next couple weeks and then eating it.

Last edited:
I liked Albus as a name (I assume that stem means vote?) Poor little guy might be too young to make it without a momma. :frown:

Arildno are there any plans to take it in and care for it through the winter?

Poor little thing :frown:

Reminds me of hap... No, I won't say it, it's to sad.

micromass said:
Poor little thing :frown:

Reminds me of hap... No, I won't say it, it's to sad.
Micro, go rescue it!

Evo said:
Micro, go rescue it!

I want to :frown:

Evo said:
Arildno are there any plans to take it in and care for it through the winter?
Not that I have seen.
Moose live mostly off branch-tips from trees during the winter, rather than digging for hidden treasure beneath the snow layer.
Thus, the mooselet probably has learned the correct survival techniques already, and compassionate inteference from humans may reduce his ability to fend for himself.
Fortunately, a moose calf is so big that it has no natural predators in today's Norway; there are so few wolves left so these can be discounted as a danger he ought to avoid.
Personally, I think the most critical time for him will come in early spring when his mother would teach him what new plants he ought to eat, and which he should avoid.

arildno said:
Personally, I think the most critical time for him will come in early spring when his mother would teach him what new plants he ought to eat, and which he should avoid.
Can't we get him training? I vote for dressing micro in a mama moose suit. SAVE THE MEESE!

This is a sad story indeed. While teenage pregnancy is rampant in the US, female moose in Belgium, or what ever that country is that uses those funny letters, are having children as young as two years old. I want to know, we all need to know, where is the father and will he take responsibility?

Apparently he is famous:

http://www.media-freaks.com/work/leilei/bullwinkle/bullwinkle-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Can't we get him training? I vote for dressing micro in a mama moose suit. SAVE THE MEESE!
Micro is welcome. provided he pays for his own mama moose suit.

My wife would volunteer as a rescuer! She has a full-time job, but if someone would ship the mooselet to us, she and I would be foster-parents. Also, Duke loves everybody and every other critter. Albins would have a full-time companion.

I just want to make sure... are people using the term mooselet because there is some "meme" quality to it?

CaptFirePanda said:
I just want to make sure... are people using the term mooselet because there is some "meme" quality to it?
We have a lot of people here who may not even be native English-speakers, and "-let" is quite acceptable (if not always grammatical) as a modification designating a diminutive form of the word being modified. I would have a tough time with "chicklets", though. :tongue:

CaptFirePanda said:
Mooselet, mooseling, whatever a moose calf might be called.

arildno said:
Mooselet, mooseling, whatever a moose calf might be called.
Face it, Mooselet is just damn cute.

Rhody... :biggrin:

rhody said:

But don't call the mother a moosette. For one thing the PF sisterhood will be all over you like a cheap suit. For another, you don't want to deal with the mother if she happens to turn up. Imagine an animal with the strength of a moose, but with the mentality of a moose. She's going to dance a pretty moosette's waltz on your head.

rhody said:

I agree! Mooselet just sounds cuter than moose calf. Someone call Webster's!

Poor mooselet.. I wish I could adopt it.. I really hope it survives.

Moonbear said:
I agree! Mooselet just sounds cuter than moose calf. Someone call Webster's!
I WANT to contribute to Webster's!
I am a language-enricher! :approve:

1. What is a "nameless white mooselet"?

A "mooselet" is a term used to describe a young or small moose. The term "white" in this context likely refers to a moose with a white or light-colored coat. The moose in question does not have a given name, hence the term "nameless."

2. Why is the white mooselet seeking after its dead mum?

Moose are social animals and have strong bonds with their mothers. It is not uncommon for a young moose to stay close to its mother even after she has passed away, as they may feel comforted by her presence.

3. Is it normal for a mooselet to be looking for its dead mother?

Yes, it is normal for a mooselet to seek out its mother after her passing. As mentioned before, moose are social animals and the loss of a mother can be a significant event for a young moose. The mooselet may also be looking for its mother's guidance and protection.

4. How long will the mooselet continue searching for its dead mum?

The length of time a mooselet will continue searching for its dead mother can vary. It may continue to do so for several weeks or even months, depending on the individual and the circumstances of its mother's death.

5. Should humans intervene and help the mooselet?

In most cases, it is not necessary for humans to intervene and help the mooselet. It is important to respect wildlife and their natural behaviors. However, if the mooselet appears to be in distress or danger, it is best to contact a local wildlife agency for assistance.