1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming Alkanes

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For chemistry I have to name alkanes, however there is this one that I am unsure of. This one consists of both alkyl groups and halogens. Would I make my alkyl group the lowest possible number or my halogen group, or does it not matter as long as I use the lowest possible number? And does the alphabetical rule apply if I have a halogen and an alkyl group or would I put my alkyl group first because of the 'priority order'?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do think I have to use the lowest possible number no matter if it's an alkyl group or a halogen, can someone tell me if I'm correct. And the alphabetical order I am unsure of the reason why is because I am seeing an alkane named "2-methyl-4-chloro-5-bromononane" and this is not alphabetical.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2
    ok let me help you in understanding the rules ...first and most important rule is lowest number to the substituents ..in your example they have followed lowest sum rule ..you need not to worry about the alphabets
    Next question is where I need to worry for alphabets :
    let me help you with example
    I CH2CH2CH2Cl
    now in this case there is a tie ..both substituents can get the lowest same number ...in this case alphabetically Chloro will the get the highest priority .

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3
    Okay thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted