1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naming Cycloalkanes

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On the attachment is the answer to one of my questions written next to it as the instructor provided.
    But I am confused. I understand the first common naming answer, however the second, shouldnt it be 1 methyl, rather than 4,
    and then 4-(1-methylethyl)? Because with 2 substituents you label in alphabetical order. Am I missing some information that would allow me to label it as my instructor did?
    Please advise if you can.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The methylethyl group is a chain of three carbon atoms, so it has precedence over the methyl with one carbon. Therefore, in terms of numbering, it is 1-(1-methylethyl) and 4-methyl. It is for the same reason that it is the isopropyl that gets numbered 1 (the numbering is independent of how you choose to name the group, isopropyl vs 1-methylethyl).

Note that in the full name, alphabetic order is used:

trans-1-isopropyl-4-methylcycloheptane

trans-4-methyl-1-(1-methyethyl)cycloheptane

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted